Dalai Lama Supports Homosexual Marriages, OKs Consensual Gay Sex (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 8, 2014 1:15 AM EST
Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama turns 78 on Saturday 6 July 2013
Same-sex unions got a big boost on Friday from a major religious leader. The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Buddhists, shared his view on the controversial topic with American TV host Larry King.
The celibate Buddhist monk said, quoted by The Telegraph, "If two people - a couple - really feel that way is more practical, more sort of satisfaction, both sides totally agree, then okay."
However, he clarified that there is a difference between public policy and individual moral beliefs, adding that people must follow their faith's rules on sexuality. But for non-believers, he said it is up to them.
"So there are different forms of sex - so long (as it is) safe, okay, and (if both people) fully agree, okay," said the exiled spiritual leader.
This is not the first time that the Dalai Lama has spoken on gay rights. In one of his books, he said sex only involves organs that are intended for sexual intercourse.
He shared his view on gay marriages and sex while on a tour of the U.S., which includes visits to Washington and leading the customary prayer that opens each session of the U.S. Senate.
His views clash with the position taken by most Christian churches such as fundamentalist leaders like Pat Robertson who directly condemns gay sex and marriages.
However, Pope Francis, leader of the Roman Catholic Church, like the Dalai Lama, has indicated a more liberal attitude which differs from the very conservative outlook of the church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon