Dalai Lama Supports Homosexual Marriages, OKs Consensual Gay Sex (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 8, 2014 1:15 AM EST
Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama turns 78 on Saturday 6 July 2013
Same-sex unions got a big boost on Friday from a major religious leader. The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Buddhists, shared his view on the controversial topic with American TV host Larry King.
The celibate Buddhist monk said, quoted by The Telegraph, "If two people - a couple - really feel that way is more practical, more sort of satisfaction, both sides totally agree, then okay."
However, he clarified that there is a difference between public policy and individual moral beliefs, adding that people must follow their faith's rules on sexuality. But for non-believers, he said it is up to them.
"So there are different forms of sex - so long (as it is) safe, okay, and (if both people) fully agree, okay," said the exiled spiritual leader.
This is not the first time that the Dalai Lama has spoken on gay rights. In one of his books, he said sex only involves organs that are intended for sexual intercourse.
He shared his view on gay marriages and sex while on a tour of the U.S., which includes visits to Washington and leading the customary prayer that opens each session of the U.S. Senate.
His views clash with the position taken by most Christian churches such as fundamentalist leaders like Pat Robertson who directly condemns gay sex and marriages.
However, Pope Francis, leader of the Roman Catholic Church, like the Dalai Lama, has indicated a more liberal attitude which differs from the very conservative outlook of the church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged