Dalai Lama Supports Homosexual Marriages, OKs Consensual Gay Sex (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 8, 2014 1:15 AM EST
Same-sex unions got a big boost on Friday from a major religious leader. The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Buddhists, shared his view on the controversial topic with American TV host Larry King.
The celibate Buddhist monk said, quoted by The Telegraph, "If two people - a couple - really feel that way is more practical, more sort of satisfaction, both sides totally agree, then okay."
However, he clarified that there is a difference between public policy and individual moral beliefs, adding that people must follow their faith's rules on sexuality. But for non-believers, he said it is up to them.
"So there are different forms of sex - so long (as it is) safe, okay, and (if both people) fully agree, okay," said the exiled spiritual leader.
This is not the first time that the Dalai Lama has spoken on gay rights. In one of his books, he said sex only involves organs that are intended for sexual intercourse.
He shared his view on gay marriages and sex while on a tour of the U.S., which includes visits to Washington and leading the customary prayer that opens each session of the U.S. Senate.
His views clash with the position taken by most Christian churches such as fundamentalist leaders like Pat Robertson who directly condemns gay sex and marriages.
However, Pope Francis, leader of the Roman Catholic Church, like the Dalai Lama, has indicated a more liberal attitude which differs from the very conservative outlook of the church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?