Dalai Lama Supports Homosexual Marriages, OKs Consensual Gay Sex (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 8, 2014 1:15 AM EST
Tibet's exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama turns 78 on Saturday 6 July 2013
Same-sex unions got a big boost on Friday from a major religious leader. The Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of Buddhists, shared his view on the controversial topic with American TV host Larry King.
The celibate Buddhist monk said, quoted by The Telegraph, "If two people - a couple - really feel that way is more practical, more sort of satisfaction, both sides totally agree, then okay."
However, he clarified that there is a difference between public policy and individual moral beliefs, adding that people must follow their faith's rules on sexuality. But for non-believers, he said it is up to them.
"So there are different forms of sex - so long (as it is) safe, okay, and (if both people) fully agree, okay," said the exiled spiritual leader.
This is not the first time that the Dalai Lama has spoken on gay rights. In one of his books, he said sex only involves organs that are intended for sexual intercourse.
He shared his view on gay marriages and sex while on a tour of the U.S., which includes visits to Washington and leading the customary prayer that opens each session of the U.S. Senate.
His views clash with the position taken by most Christian churches such as fundamentalist leaders like Pat Robertson who directly condemns gay sex and marriages.
However, Pope Francis, leader of the Roman Catholic Church, like the Dalai Lama, has indicated a more liberal attitude which differs from the very conservative outlook of the church.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal