INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 7, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Just weeks after two officers were killed in a fire on board the INS Sindhuratna, a naval officer has reportedly died in another naval accident.
A man watches Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak on fire in Mumbai late August 13, 2013 (Representational picture) The INS Kolkata in which the gas leak took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers
Television channels are reporting that the officer died in an accident on INS Kolkata, at the Mazgoan docks near Mumbai. Reports also suggest gas-leak mishap took place in INS Kolkata, an under-construction ship.
The INS Kolkata is considered to be one of the most advanced warships in India. A malfunction occured in the carbon dioxide unit of the ship which resulted into gas being leaked during the machinary trials, NDTV has reported.
A Navy press release initially said that the officer and some other personnel was affected and hospitalized. It was confirmed later that the officer had died.
In late February, two officers, who were initially declared missing since fire broke out on board INS Singhuratna submarine were later found dead.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manorajan Kumar - went missing after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine caught fire on 27 February. The incident left seven other sailors unconscious.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
The INS Kolkata in which the gas-leak mishap took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers. It was constructed at Mazagon Dock Limited and was undergong sea trial of late.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS