INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 7, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Just weeks after two officers were killed in a fire on board the INS Sindhuratna, a naval officer has reportedly died in another naval accident.
A man watches Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak on fire in Mumbai late August 13, 2013 (Representational picture) The INS Kolkata in which the gas leak took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers
Television channels are reporting that the officer died in an accident on INS Kolkata, at the Mazgoan docks near Mumbai. Reports also suggest gas-leak mishap took place in INS Kolkata, an under-construction ship.
The INS Kolkata is considered to be one of the most advanced warships in India. A malfunction occured in the carbon dioxide unit of the ship which resulted into gas being leaked during the machinary trials, NDTV has reported.
A Navy press release initially said that the officer and some other personnel was affected and hospitalized. It was confirmed later that the officer had died.
In late February, two officers, who were initially declared missing since fire broke out on board INS Singhuratna submarine were later found dead.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manorajan Kumar - went missing after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine caught fire on 27 February. The incident left seven other sailors unconscious.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
The INS Kolkata in which the gas-leak mishap took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers. It was constructed at Mazagon Dock Limited and was undergong sea trial of late.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October