INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 7, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Just weeks after two officers were killed in a fire on board the INS Sindhuratna, a naval officer has reportedly died in another naval accident.
A man watches Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak on fire in Mumbai late August 13, 2013 (Representational picture) The INS Kolkata in which the gas leak took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers
Television channels are reporting that the officer died in an accident on INS Kolkata, at the Mazgoan docks near Mumbai. Reports also suggest gas-leak mishap took place in INS Kolkata, an under-construction ship.
The INS Kolkata is considered to be one of the most advanced warships in India. A malfunction occured in the carbon dioxide unit of the ship which resulted into gas being leaked during the machinary trials, NDTV has reported.
A Navy press release initially said that the officer and some other personnel was affected and hospitalized. It was confirmed later that the officer had died.
In late February, two officers, who were initially declared missing since fire broke out on board INS Singhuratna submarine were later found dead.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manorajan Kumar - went missing after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine caught fire on 27 February. The incident left seven other sailors unconscious.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
The INS Kolkata in which the gas-leak mishap took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers. It was constructed at Mazagon Dock Limited and was undergong sea trial of late.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More