INS Kolkata Accident: One Commander Rank Officer Dies in Another Naval Mishap Days After INS Sindhuratna Fire
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 7, 2014 9:49 PM EST
Just weeks after two officers were killed in a fire on board the INS Sindhuratna, a naval officer has reportedly died in another naval accident.
A man watches Indian Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak on fire in Mumbai late August 13, 2013 (Representational picture) The INS Kolkata in which the gas leak took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers
Television channels are reporting that the officer died in an accident on INS Kolkata, at the Mazgoan docks near Mumbai. Reports also suggest gas-leak mishap took place in INS Kolkata, an under-construction ship.
The INS Kolkata is considered to be one of the most advanced warships in India. A malfunction occured in the carbon dioxide unit of the ship which resulted into gas being leaked during the machinary trials, NDTV has reported.
A Navy press release initially said that the officer and some other personnel was affected and hospitalized. It was confirmed later that the officer had died.
In late February, two officers, who were initially declared missing since fire broke out on board INS Singhuratna submarine were later found dead.
The deceased officers - Lt Commander Kapish Muwal and Lt Manorajan Kumar - went missing after the fire mishap on board the 25-year-old Indian Navy submarine caught fire on 27 February. The incident left seven other sailors unconscious.
The Indian Navy has been dogged with accidents of late, Sindhuratna submarine fire being the 10th mishap in the last few months. An explosion on INS Sindhurakshak submarine killed 18 sailors in August last year, and INS Airavat, an amphibious warfare vessel, ran aground earlier this month.
The INS Kolkata in which the gas-leak mishap took place on Friday is the lead ship of the Kolkata-class guided missile destroyers. It was constructed at Mazagon Dock Limited and was undergong sea trial of late.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet