Aussie Women 5th Noblest Across 29 Countries - OECD
By Athena Yenko | March 7, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Saturday is International Women's Day. As a means of celebration, Aussie women will be proud to know that they are ranked 5th among the noblest women among 29 countries.
Among 29 countries worldwide, Aussie women spent an average of 5 hours of unpaid work daily, according to a survey done by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).
Aussie women spent an average of 311 minutes per day on house work. But with them engaging to more unpaid work, Aussie women do not have time on leisurely activities like shopping, traveling, playing sport or other mundane activities like reading or watching television like most women in European countries.
The only "leisure" unpaid work that Aussie women can do is sleep, according to the study.
"Women are slowly closing the gap with men as more have careers. But there is still a huge gender gap in unpaid work, clearly showing that men are still struggling to lift much more than a finger from time to time. In virtually every country, men are able to fit in valuable extra minutes of leisure daily while women spend more time doing unpaid housework," OECD noted.
Director Helen Conway of Workplace Gender Equality Agency said unpaid house work forced women to only work part-time.
"We know that women still do most of society's unpaid work. This reduces the amount of time women spend in paid employment, which negatively impacts their lifetime earnings and makes them more likely to be reliant on government benefits in old age," she told The Australian.
Aussie men only spent 172 minutes a day or under 3 hours on unpaid work.
Jennifer Melville, 27, told The Australian that she spends an average of 6 hours a day on laundry and preparing meals for her daughters.
"When it comes to housework, there are the basic things but also paying of bills or organizing a birthday party for kids - it is just constant. Thankfully, my husband and I even each other out - he takes care of mowing the lawn and cooking, and I do all the other stuff,'' she added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports