Ex-AP CM to Launch New Party on 12 March, Expelled Cong Leaders Support Him
By Rama Mohan | March 7, 2014 6:05 PM EST
Former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy is set to launch a new political party on 12 March 2014 in Rajamundry, a city in coastal Andhra Pradesh. Reddy announced his decision at his residence in Hyderabad on 6 March, reported PTI
Andhra Pradesh Caretaker Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy
Reddy resigned from chief ministerial post, protesting Centre's decision to divide the united Andhra Pradesh to create a new state of Telangana.
His new party's announcement came hours after he filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging the Union government's decision to carve out Telangana from the United Andhra Pradesh. The new party's name, symbol, ideology and other details will be announced at the launch of the party, he added.
The main aim of the new party will be to uphold the "prestige and dignity" of Telugu-speaking people and understand their needs and aspirations.
Kiran Reddy was flanked by expelled Cong MPs-Sai Pratap, Pabbam Srihari, Harshakumar, Lagadapati Rajagopal, ex-minister Pitani Satyanarayana.
Though born and brought up in Hyderabad, his farther N. Amarnath Reddy was from Nagaripalle, near Kalikiri, Chittoor district in drought-hit Rayalaseema, the part of Seemandhra region. Amarnath was in Congress and served as a minister in P. V. Narasimha Rao's cabinet. He was also considered close to late Indira Gandhi.
Kiran Kumar, who stated that he was pained a lot by the state's bifurcation, recalled that his family has been in politics since 40 to 50 years. When scribes asked him whether he is going to fight to reunite the AP, he retorted saying that the two section of Germany were united by people of both sides by toppling down the Berlin wall. Whereas here in AP, there is no such a wall, he added.
He also explained that if the state was divided, both the proposed states-Telangana and Seemandhra will have to face hardships including the immediate problems such as power shortages and irrigation issues.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers