Newborn Baby Found Dead in Melbourne Footpath; Man Jailed for Abusing 9-Month Old Baby
By Reissa Su | March 7, 2014 5:46 PM EST
A dead newborn baby was discovered on a footpath near Melbourne's St. Albans footpath. Whoever killed the baby had left the newborn hidden under a tree. Police questioned an 18-year-old woman who was living near the footpath. She was then released after questioning.
According to a police spokeswoman, police are still investigating the case and uncovering details like how long the newborn baby has been buried in the St. Albans footpath. Authorities said the dead baby had been "concealed" under a tree.
Police Chief Commissioner Ken Lay said the investigation is still in its early stages and reported the pursuit of "some positive leads." The homicide division awaits the results of an autopsy report to determine the cause of death.
It is still unknown to media if the dead newborn was a girl or boy. It could not be confirmed if the questioned girl had any relationship with the dead baby found buried under a tree.
Man jailed for abusing 9-month-old baby
Meanwhile, a man in New Zealand has been sentenced to jail for causing the brain hemorrhage of a 9-month-old baby. The High Court of Rotorua has ordered Piripi Te Rame Sisley, 22, to be jailed for 3 years for assaulting and wounding the baby with reckless disregard.
The accused pleaded guilty for abusing "Baby A", the name given by police in reference to the infant. According to police reports, Mr Sisley was staying with his partner for the Christmas season in 2012. Police found out he also used to twist both the baby's ears using his two hands which left bruises.
On December 28, the accused was alone in the bedroom with Baby A when he began assaulting the baby which caused subdural and retinal bleeding. The police said such injuries can only be caused by a violent blow to the head or hitting the baby's head against a hard surface.
The victim of abuse is now two years old and his carers have reported a weakness on the left side of his body. Justice Grahan Lang told Mr Sisley that it is still unknown if the victim's brain damage will be permanent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Sydney Siege Victim Katrina Dawson Killed by Man Haron Monis, Preliminary Report Suggests
- Sydney Siege Aftermath: Australia's Gun Laws May Be Under Review
- Australian Muslim Says Sorry for Sydney Siege
- Sweden Launches Website To Crack Down On Child Sex Tourists
- Rupert Murdoch Blasted For 'Insensitive' Tweet Over Bloody Outcome of Sydney Siege