All-England Championships Results: India’s Saina Nehwal and China’s Li Xuerui Enter Quarterfinals
By Shruthi SU | March 7, 2014 5:45 PM EST
On Thursday night, India's Saina Nehwal beat the American qualifier Beiwen Zhang 24-22, 18-21, 21-19 to enter quarterfinals of the All-England Championships. Saina, the Commonwealth Games winner, took an hour to overpower the former Singapore player of Chinese origin.
Saina is the only Indian left in the tournament, after PV Sindhu crashed out of the first round on Wednesday. She will next face China's Wang Shixian, who eased past Ireland's Chloe Magee of 21-15, 21-12. Shixian is the fourth seed in the tournament and Saina will have a tough task facing her.
The other Chinese star in the tournament, Olympic champion and top-seeded Li Xuerui, managed a close win after being 8-13 down against Japan's Minatsu Mitani 14-21, 21-19, 21-15.
"It's a difficult situation when your opponent has a lead," Li told reporters after entering quarterfinals. "Both my coach and myself were telling me to keep fighting.
"I also adopted the right tactics to perform at my level. I was able to adjust and find solutions, so in that way I was happy with my performance."
In the men's singles from round two, Zhengming Wang of China beat compatriot Huan Gao 21-19, 21-17 to enter quarters.
Meanwhile, Chris and Gabby Adcock reached quarters with a 21-13 21-15 win over Peter Kaesbauer and Isabel Herttrich of Germany. The fifth-seeds could possibly face 2012 Olympic and 2011 world champions Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei up next.
"If we face Zhang and Zhao they're obviously world number ones for a reason but we have beaten them before so I think it's one of those games where we've got nothing to lose, we can go out and give a good performance and hope for the best," Chris Adcock said ahead of his quarterfinal match.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier