Woman Suffering from ‘Bubble Skin’ Disease Disowned by Family, Fast Facts about Neurofibromatosis
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 7, 2014 5:11 PM EST
While some families support each other whenever there are difficult circumstances, Sarotin, 46, from Indonesia has been disowned by her family for having a rare skin condition, and was forced to beg.
Neurofibromatosis or commonly known as "Bubble Skin" is a rare skin disorder that swamps a person's body with bubble-like lumps. Sarotin has been suffering the disease for three years now. Her body fully covered, and a huge lump is covering half of her face.
A mother of four, she has reportedly been funded by the local government to remove 70.5kg of tumor from her back, but it never stopped the disease from returning. Sarotin's situation worsened as her familiar affairs became troublesome as well.
Sarotin is a widow and cannot afford a treatment. After fleeing from her home in Bandung, West Java, Indonesia, she is now staying and begging on the streets to survive. Despite her condition, Sarotin continues to have hopes about the future. She said that she would like to be beautiful like other women.
What is Neurofibromatosis?
Neurofibromatosis is a genetic disease of the nervous system. It primarily affects how the cells grow causing tumors to grow on the nerves.
People who commune along persons with Neurofibromatosis do not have to worry that they will acquire the disease as well. It is non-contagious and non-cancerous despite its grave appearance. However, there are cases that it may develop into cancer.
Since Neurofibromatosis is has something to do with the genes, if a parent has it, there is a 50% probability that children would develop the disease as well. It can affect both males and females, and has three types types according to the U.S National Library of Medicine.
Neurofibromatosis Type 1 (NF1) causes nerve tissues to grow into tumor and bone deformity. More likely the condition suffered by Sarotin. It usually starts during childhood and symptoms could be present at birth. Type 2 (NF2) on the other hand causes loss of hearing, ringing in the ears, and poor balance. Onset of the disease usually start in the teenage years. The third one is called, Schwannomatosis that brings extreme pain. It is the rarest type among Neurofibromatosis conditions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports