Indian University Students Charged With Sedition As They Cheered For Pakistan
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 4:51 PM EST
About 67 Kashmiri students from a university in Northern India were charged with sedition after they cheered for Pakistani cricket team during a match between India and Pakistan in 2014 Asia Cup held at Bangladesh on March 2.
According to M.M Baig, a police officer from Meerut, a city in the state of Uttar Pradesh, the charges were filed after an official complaint has been lodged by Manzoor Ahmed, vice-chancellor of Swami Vivekanand Subhrati University in Meerut.
Aside from sedition, the students were also charged with "instigating hate between two communities." But after reviewing the case by the police, the sedition charges were initially dropped on March 6, according to local media reports.
In relation to this event, Omar Abdullah, chief minister of the State Jammu and Kashmir, tweeted, "I believe what the students did was wrong and misguided but they certainly didn't deserve to have charges of sedition slapped against them." He added he got in contact with respective authorities of Uttar Pradesh to take care of the issue.
Akhilesh Yadav, chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, also requested state officials to drop the charges. Later, Principal Secretary of Uttar Pradesh Anil Kumar Gupta confirmed dropping of sedition charges after some preliminary investigations are conducted by the administrative department.
India breathes with the air of cricket. As the entire country bids for their home team, some Kashmiris offer their support to the Pakistanis because of the age-old conflict between two countries that started from 1947 after India's independence and rise of Pakistan.
The constant harassment of police officials to the Kashmiri people and other violent atrocities was probably another cause of resentment among local people.
A cricket match between India and Pakistan is considered the biggest event and a matter of national pride between the two disputed countries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools