Indian University Students Charged With Sedition As They Cheered For Pakistan
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 4:51 PM EST
About 67 Kashmiri students from a university in Northern India were charged with sedition after they cheered for Pakistani cricket team during a match between India and Pakistan in 2014 Asia Cup held at Bangladesh on March 2.
According to M.M Baig, a police officer from Meerut, a city in the state of Uttar Pradesh, the charges were filed after an official complaint has been lodged by Manzoor Ahmed, vice-chancellor of Swami Vivekanand Subhrati University in Meerut.
Aside from sedition, the students were also charged with "instigating hate between two communities." But after reviewing the case by the police, the sedition charges were initially dropped on March 6, according to local media reports.
In relation to this event, Omar Abdullah, chief minister of the State Jammu and Kashmir, tweeted, "I believe what the students did was wrong and misguided but they certainly didn't deserve to have charges of sedition slapped against them." He added he got in contact with respective authorities of Uttar Pradesh to take care of the issue.
Akhilesh Yadav, chief minister of Uttar Pradesh, also requested state officials to drop the charges. Later, Principal Secretary of Uttar Pradesh Anil Kumar Gupta confirmed dropping of sedition charges after some preliminary investigations are conducted by the administrative department.
India breathes with the air of cricket. As the entire country bids for their home team, some Kashmiris offer their support to the Pakistanis because of the age-old conflict between two countries that started from 1947 after India's independence and rise of Pakistan.
The constant harassment of police officials to the Kashmiri people and other violent atrocities was probably another cause of resentment among local people.
A cricket match between India and Pakistan is considered the biggest event and a matter of national pride between the two disputed countries.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?