'12 Years a Slave' Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o Boyfriend: Somali Musician K'Naan, Not Dating Jared Leto
By Vanessa Francisco | March 7, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Jared Leto has been the subject of rumours all throughout the awards season. After being spotted in deep conversation at the Mui Mui show during Paris Fashion Week, rumour has it that the 42-year-old actor and Lupita Nyong'o are dating. Leto even added fuel to the gossip when he thanked referred Lupita as his "future ex-wife" in his Independent Spirit Award acceptance speech. However, new reports claim that her boyfriend is actually a Somali musician named K'naan. According to reports, Nyong'o arrived with her very low-key boyfriend to an appearance on "Live With Kelly and Michael" the day after the Oscars night.
K'naan previously had a big hit entitled "Waving Flag" in 2010 and the couple has been supporting each other's careers. Nyong'o was also seen at K'naan's show in Los Angeles in February while he escorts his girlfriend to pre-awards events in return. He uploads photos with her on Instagram. There are photos showing K'naan and Nyong'o hugging each other and smiling without the flash on. Nyong'o said she does not let a lot of people touch her Oscar trophy but the photos show K'naan holding it. See photos here
Since Nyong'o debuted in her Oscar-winning performance in "12 Years a Slave," she has been a very popular name worldwide. The Kenyan born star confessed that she used to wish waking up with light skin.
"I remember a time when I would turn on the TV and see only pale skin. I got taunted and teased about my night shaded skin. My one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was to wake up lighter skinned," Nyong'o narrated as she accepted her award for Best Breakthrough Performance at Essence magazine's annual Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon. "The morning would come and I would be excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself before I was in front of a mirror. I wanted to see my fair face first."
According to the Daily Mail, K'naan had a difficult past as well, leaving his native Somalia as the Civil War began. When he was 13 years old, he flew to Canada as a refugee and became involved in gang culture and several violations of the law. Fortunately, he became a successful musician and has talked in front of United Nations event, discussing the lack of aid in Somalia during the Civil War.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- 'Castle' Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic's Kate Beckett, NYPD To Discover The Real Rick Castle
- 'Under The Dome' Season 2 Finale Spoilers: An Exit Route Appears But Not Everyone Gets Out Alive, 'Under The Dome' Season 3 Update [VIDEO]
- Bruce Jenner Sex Change Reports Resurface As He Shaves His Leg, Behaves Feminine Inside A Coffee Shop
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed