'12 Years a Slave' Oscar Winner Lupita Nyong'o Boyfriend: Somali Musician K'Naan, Not Dating Jared Leto
By Vanessa Francisco | March 7, 2014 4:33 PM EST
Jared Leto has been the subject of rumours all throughout the awards season. After being spotted in deep conversation at the Mui Mui show during Paris Fashion Week, rumour has it that the 42-year-old actor and Lupita Nyong'o are dating. Leto even added fuel to the gossip when he thanked referred Lupita as his "future ex-wife" in his Independent Spirit Award acceptance speech. However, new reports claim that her boyfriend is actually a Somali musician named K'naan. According to reports, Nyong'o arrived with her very low-key boyfriend to an appearance on "Live With Kelly and Michael" the day after the Oscars night.
K'naan previously had a big hit entitled "Waving Flag" in 2010 and the couple has been supporting each other's careers. Nyong'o was also seen at K'naan's show in Los Angeles in February while he escorts his girlfriend to pre-awards events in return. He uploads photos with her on Instagram. There are photos showing K'naan and Nyong'o hugging each other and smiling without the flash on. Nyong'o said she does not let a lot of people touch her Oscar trophy but the photos show K'naan holding it. See photos here
Since Nyong'o debuted in her Oscar-winning performance in "12 Years a Slave," she has been a very popular name worldwide. The Kenyan born star confessed that she used to wish waking up with light skin.
"I remember a time when I would turn on the TV and see only pale skin. I got taunted and teased about my night shaded skin. My one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was to wake up lighter skinned," Nyong'o narrated as she accepted her award for Best Breakthrough Performance at Essence magazine's annual Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon. "The morning would come and I would be excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself before I was in front of a mirror. I wanted to see my fair face first."
According to the Daily Mail, K'naan had a difficult past as well, leaving his native Somalia as the Civil War began. When he was 13 years old, he flew to Canada as a refugee and became involved in gang culture and several violations of the law. Fortunately, he became a successful musician and has talked in front of United Nations event, discussing the lack of aid in Somalia during the Civil War.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff