Australia Eyes to Attain No.1 Ranking in Test Cricket
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 3:57 PM EST
Australia is all eyes to attain No.1 spot in test cricket ranking by the end of year 2014.
Australia's dismal performance at Ashes ending at 3 - 1 in the year 2010 - 2011 will be cleaned from the ranking by 2014 - 2015.
Australia's team celebrates after a dismissal
Coach Darren Lehman and Captain Michael Clarke clarified repeatedly that they don't consider the best in the world until the regain No.1 spot, officially.
But Lehman seems positive after the 2 - 1 series win against South Africa. He further appreciated the batting line-up and stated: "Our batters were outstanding in this series." "Here, they were outstanding, obviously apart from PE (Port Elizabeth) where the first innings we were pretty disappointing."
Opener David Warner was presented the man-of-the-series award for his career-based performance of 543 in 90.5 overs.
Lehmann further added: "It always sets up the day for you. He's always forward-thinking and trying to be positive."On the other hand, South Africa, who currently holds the top position, is armed with superb bowling side.
The Proteas are currently 12-points ahead of Australia. "They're a very good bowling attack, South Africa. That's why they're No.1 in the world."
It will be interesting to see Australia's performance in the 2015 Ashes series in England. The team will also face Pakistan to play a two-test series in October followed by four test matches with India preceding the World Cup 2015.
The Proteas and Aussies are also supposed to meet for another test series by October-November in the year 2016 scheduled in Australia.
As of now, the ICC test ranking after the test match series in South Africa stands as follows:
- South Africa (127 pts.)
- Australia (115 pts.)
- India (112 pts.)
- England (107 pts.)
- Pakistan (100 pts.)
- Sri Lanka (89 pts.)
- New Zealand (87 pts.)
- West Indies (87 pts.)
- Zimbabwe (34 pts.)
- Bangladesh (19 pts.)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories