Pope Francis was giddy with girls; “The Pope is a normal person,” he says
By Athena Yenko | March 7, 2014 3:57 PM EST
"There was a girl that turned my head for a week when I was at the seminary," Pope Francis confessed in an interview with Italian daily Corriere della.
The interview was made as a celebration to his first year as pope to Vatican.
He admitted that he had fallen in love with this girl even while he was already training as a priest back when he was just 22 or 23 years old.
He said his passion for the girl was intense; he was in sort of an obsession for one week that he immediately seeks redemption through a confession.
"But we were young. I tell my confessor about these things," the Pope said.
Pope had also his share of love stories.
He admitted that he had a girlfriend when he was just seventeen. He said they had gone dancing to clubs and salsa was their favourite dance.
However, his calling to serve God was more intense than pursuing their love story.
When he was out with friends in Buenos Aires, a sort of apparition came upon him that he decided right there and then that he wanted to be a priest. He left his friends and went to a confession immediately.
It was to be recalled that immediately after he became Pope, a long lost childhood sweetheart, Amalia Damonte, revealed herself. She said their parents had to separate them because they were already planning to get married when they were just 12 years old.
The Pope had always been open about such aspects in his life for he wanted to reach out more to people.
"The pope is a man who laughs, cries, sleeps calmly and has friends like everyone else. A normal person," he said during the interview.
Hence, he expressed disapproval on how media hype had labeled him as "Superpope." He said all the hype made about him was offensive. He disliked it when he was being portrayed as celebrity and a star in the eyes of the people.
"Depicting the pope as a sort of Superman, a star, is offensive to me."
However, the Vatican remained deaf to this as Vatican celebrate the Pope's anniversary with commemorative stamps and coins.
The Vatican went as far as selling documentary DVDs about the Pope.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced