‘Burqa Man’ Who Killed Wife for Using Internet Gets 17 Years with No Parole
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 7, 2014 3:18 PM EST
Abdul Malik Rustam, the "burqa" killer who came into prominence after being accused of the cold-blooded murder of his 21-year-old wife, was sentenced to life imprisonment for 17 years with no possibility for parole. Justice John McMahon announced it on Wednesday, March 5.
Mr Rustam, who is a Canadian citizen, wore women's shoes and a burqa. He strangled his wife Shaher Bano Shahdady to death and left her lifeless body with their 2-year-old son for 15 hours. Her fault was that she had asked for a divorce. Her body was eventually discovered in her apartment in Scarborough, Ontario.
According to Mr McMohan, in addition to the murder, what made Mr Rustam's crime even more serious was what he had done to his son. He called it an "exceptionally callous disregard" for the well-being of the young child, Toronto Sun reported. Justice McMohan also said that it would be difficult to understand what the child had gone through while sitting beside its mother's murdered body for 15 hours. The only "glimmer of hope" should be the fact that the child is so young that the memory might "fade into" its memory, he said.
The judge further clarified that the murder was not something that occurred at the heat of the moment. There was no heated argument prior to the incident. Mr Rustam - who claims to be extremely religious - went to his wife's apartment, killed her and then went to the mosque with his father-in-law for the "Fajr" - the Morning Prayer - at 4:30 am. Later, he informed his brother that he had "finished her." The judge said that Ms Shahdady left scratch marks on Mr Rustam's neck and face as she fought courageously for her life.
Ironically, Mr Rustam was the one opened the door of his wife's apartment for his in-laws so that they could find her body. He appeared to have been grief-stricken after seeing his wife's corpse and confessed everything to police.
According to reports, Mr Rustan had problems with his wife using Internet and having an online connection with a Dubai man.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border