Mitchell Johnson Sent to Rest Before T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson was sent home to rest before the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Johnson had a long summer this year. He bowled 34 overs in the second innings of the test match with South Africa at Newlands. The Australian cricket board thinks it would be wise for Johnson to freshen up before linking back with the team at Bangladesh for the T20 World Cup.
For Mitch it's time to rest for a while
Coach Darren Lehman stated: "Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up. He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20."
All-rounder Moisés Henriques will replace Johnson as of now.
Meanwhile South Africa also got a big blow as the key bowler Dale Steyn will not be available for the first two T20 matches in South Africa because of strain in his hamstring.
Team Manager Mohammed Moosajee said: "Dale is unlikely to be available for the first two matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban." He further mentioned, "At this stage we are hopeful that he will be available for the ICC World Twenty20 and will work towards having him ready for the final T20 against Australia in Centurion." Kyle Abbot has replaced Steyn.
Australia is all-eye to win T20 World Cup which is scheduled to start on March 16 at Bangladesh.
The World Cup T20 will be a tough ride and it is important for the key players to get ready before they join together to aim lifting the cup for this year. Johnson is one of a key player in the team and with the decision for his rest, it is expected he will be absolutely ready for the upcoming challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2