Mitchell Johnson Sent to Rest Before T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson was sent home to rest before the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Johnson had a long summer this year. He bowled 34 overs in the second innings of the test match with South Africa at Newlands. The Australian cricket board thinks it would be wise for Johnson to freshen up before linking back with the team at Bangladesh for the T20 World Cup.
For Mitch it's time to rest for a while
Coach Darren Lehman stated: "Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up. He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20."
All-rounder Moisés Henriques will replace Johnson as of now.
Meanwhile South Africa also got a big blow as the key bowler Dale Steyn will not be available for the first two T20 matches in South Africa because of strain in his hamstring.
Team Manager Mohammed Moosajee said: "Dale is unlikely to be available for the first two matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban." He further mentioned, "At this stage we are hopeful that he will be available for the ICC World Twenty20 and will work towards having him ready for the final T20 against Australia in Centurion." Kyle Abbot has replaced Steyn.
Australia is all-eye to win T20 World Cup which is scheduled to start on March 16 at Bangladesh.
The World Cup T20 will be a tough ride and it is important for the key players to get ready before they join together to aim lifting the cup for this year. Johnson is one of a key player in the team and with the decision for his rest, it is expected he will be absolutely ready for the upcoming challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Superfight Won’t Happen Because Floyd Is Scared Of Left-Handed Boxers, Pacman - Bob Arum
- Serena Williams Shows Off Her Bikini Body With Eva Longoria At The Miami Beach After US Open Victory
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone