Mitchell Johnson Sent to Rest Before T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson was sent home to rest before the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Johnson had a long summer this year. He bowled 34 overs in the second innings of the test match with South Africa at Newlands. The Australian cricket board thinks it would be wise for Johnson to freshen up before linking back with the team at Bangladesh for the T20 World Cup.
For Mitch it's time to rest for a while
Coach Darren Lehman stated: "Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up. He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20."
All-rounder Moisés Henriques will replace Johnson as of now.
Meanwhile South Africa also got a big blow as the key bowler Dale Steyn will not be available for the first two T20 matches in South Africa because of strain in his hamstring.
Team Manager Mohammed Moosajee said: "Dale is unlikely to be available for the first two matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban." He further mentioned, "At this stage we are hopeful that he will be available for the ICC World Twenty20 and will work towards having him ready for the final T20 against Australia in Centurion." Kyle Abbot has replaced Steyn.
Australia is all-eye to win T20 World Cup which is scheduled to start on March 16 at Bangladesh.
The World Cup T20 will be a tough ride and it is important for the key players to get ready before they join together to aim lifting the cup for this year. Johnson is one of a key player in the team and with the decision for his rest, it is expected he will be absolutely ready for the upcoming challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced