Mitchell Johnson Sent to Rest Before T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson was sent home to rest before the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Johnson had a long summer this year. He bowled 34 overs in the second innings of the test match with South Africa at Newlands. The Australian cricket board thinks it would be wise for Johnson to freshen up before linking back with the team at Bangladesh for the T20 World Cup.
For Mitch it's time to rest for a while
Coach Darren Lehman stated: "Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up. He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20."
All-rounder Moisés Henriques will replace Johnson as of now.
Meanwhile South Africa also got a big blow as the key bowler Dale Steyn will not be available for the first two T20 matches in South Africa because of strain in his hamstring.
Team Manager Mohammed Moosajee said: "Dale is unlikely to be available for the first two matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban." He further mentioned, "At this stage we are hopeful that he will be available for the ICC World Twenty20 and will work towards having him ready for the final T20 against Australia in Centurion." Kyle Abbot has replaced Steyn.
Australia is all-eye to win T20 World Cup which is scheduled to start on March 16 at Bangladesh.
The World Cup T20 will be a tough ride and it is important for the key players to get ready before they join together to aim lifting the cup for this year. Johnson is one of a key player in the team and with the decision for his rest, it is expected he will be absolutely ready for the upcoming challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports