Mitchell Johnson Sent to Rest Before T20 World Cup
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 7, 2014 2:14 PM EST
Left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson was sent home to rest before the forthcoming T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.
Johnson had a long summer this year. He bowled 34 overs in the second innings of the test match with South Africa at Newlands. The Australian cricket board thinks it would be wise for Johnson to freshen up before linking back with the team at Bangladesh for the T20 World Cup.
For Mitch it's time to rest for a while
Coach Darren Lehman stated: "Mitch has had a very long summer and we think he will benefit from returning home for a few days of rest with his family where he can freshen up. He will link back up with the squad in Bangladesh ahead the ICC World Twenty20."
All-rounder Moisés Henriques will replace Johnson as of now.
Meanwhile South Africa also got a big blow as the key bowler Dale Steyn will not be available for the first two T20 matches in South Africa because of strain in his hamstring.
Team Manager Mohammed Moosajee said: "Dale is unlikely to be available for the first two matches in Port Elizabeth and Durban." He further mentioned, "At this stage we are hopeful that he will be available for the ICC World Twenty20 and will work towards having him ready for the final T20 against Australia in Centurion." Kyle Abbot has replaced Steyn.
Australia is all-eye to win T20 World Cup which is scheduled to start on March 16 at Bangladesh.
The World Cup T20 will be a tough ride and it is important for the key players to get ready before they join together to aim lifting the cup for this year. Johnson is one of a key player in the team and with the decision for his rest, it is expected he will be absolutely ready for the upcoming challenge.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects