'Annie' Movie 2014 Official Trailer Released: Everything to Know About the Musical Movie [WATCH VIDEO]
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 7, 2014 2:12 PM EST
Judgment is still too early to make as to whether it will be a hard knock life for all 1977 classic Broadway musical "Annie" die-hard fans, or not, as Sony Pictures Entertainment, owner of Columbia Pictures, finally released the musical movie's official trailer featuring Cameron Diaz, Quvenzhané Wallis and Jamie Foxx.
The classic Broadway musical-turned movie had gotten a good dose of negative comments back in 2013 as the casts and snippets of the modern-day musical movie were revealed. Critics deemed the 2014 Annie remake to threaten the original classic Broadway musical.
Fans also have mixed emotions on Cameron Diaz playing the role of Miss Hannigan -- the snarky, domineering owner of a Harlem orphanage, and who will take Annie under her care. Questions started to pop up from all over the place. Can Cameron sing? Is she too beautiful? Too young? Too old? Too much Hollywood on her?
IMDb stated that Sandra Bullock was originally considered to play Miss Hannigan, but the actress declined the role. Otherwise, according to Entertainment Weekly, "Miss Hannigan is not a sacred role." Diaz still has the time to prove herself as the 2014 movie remake of Annie comes out in December.
Meanwhile, as also stated on IMDb, the role of Annie was supposed to be played by Will Smith's daughter Willow but the latter had to drop it because she had grown old to play the part. The event brought "Beasts of the Southern Wild" star Quvenzhané Wallis to be chosen to replace Willow Smith.
Jamie Foxx will play the role of billionaire Benjamin Stacks who will be running for mayor and will need Annie, played by Wallis, to boost his persona and make a good story. Eventually, Stacks will love Annie, and it will be the beginning of a change for the lead character.
According to Hollywood Reporter, the classic musical will get updated through dropping in "obligatory" modern-day remarks from Miss Hannigan. With reports claiming that the remake of "Annie" to actually have characters unfit for their roles, die-hard fans of the classic Broadway musical will just have to wait for judgment as the movie musical officially makes its way to theaters.
Annie is directed by Will Gluck and produced by Jay Z and Will Smith. Rose Byrne and Bobby Cannavale will also be in the movie. Reports said that the movie will be facing big competition as it coincides with the premiere of another movie musical Stephen Sondheims's "Into the Woods" on Dec. 19, 2014.
WATCH: Official Trailer of Annie by Sony Pictures
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery