Secret Conversations Leaked: French Ex-President Nicholas Sarkozy and Wife Carla Bruni Takes Legal Action for Privacy Breach
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 7, 2014 11:41 AM EST
Former French president Nicholas Sarkozy and wife, model turned singer-songwriter Carla Bruni-Sarkozy are seeking legal action after private conversations of the couple were leaked online.
The tapes containing the Mr. Sarkozy and Mrs. Bruni-Sarkozy's conversations were recorded in 2011 by journalist and former aide, Patrick Buisson who also allegedly leaked the videos. Mr. Buisson was reported to be Mr. Sarkozy's former favourite, and his political advice were followed by the ex-president for more than 10 years according to a source.
Carla Bruni-Sarkozy and her husband, France’s former president Nicolas Sarkozy (Reuters)
Lawyers for Mr. Sarkozy will bring the matter into court seeking injunction to prevent more copies of the recording from being published. The leaked conversations are said to be uninteresting and will unlikely cause damage to the former president's political career.
In the recording, Carla Bruni is heard complaining about her status as Sarkozy's first lady saying that she cannot accept "anti-wrinkle cream" endorsements and other lucrative campaigns like the stars of her generation. She mentioned of Julia Roberts, Sharon Stone, and, Julianne Moore getting huge contracts, but she cannot accept any of those.
"I've turned you into a kept man ... and there I was thinking I'd married a guy with a salary," Bruni said over the recording, in a Guardian report.
The former first lady is known for her high-end living even before she even married Mr. Sarkozy in 2008, and being a multi-millionaire and heiress to a fortune of tire manufacturing company, CEAT (later sold to Pirelli), Bruni is far way richer than her husband.
"I got rich by getting married," Sarkozy replied in Bruni's sentiments on making money.
The former French leader expressed his disappointment, and is reported to be furious about the matter. Henry Guiano, a close ally of the Mr. Sarkozy said that the latter felt "betrayed," in a BBC report.
Buisson recorded hundreds of hours of private conversations, including meetings during Sarkozy's term as president. Buisson's lawyer Gilles-William Goldnadel, on the other hand claims that these recordings were made for note-taking purposes, and were not meant to be made public.
The leak was published by the country's satirical newspaper Le Canard Enchainé on Wednesday, March 5. Buisson denies being the perpetrator of the leak, and will also be taking legal actions to prove that the tapes were stolen and were unlawfully used.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Sydney Fashion Designer Jodhi Meares’ Driver License Suspended for Drunk-Driving
- Intelligence Agencies Hunt for James Foley Beheader Using Voice Recognition Technology, Journalist Was Warned by GlobalPost Editor Not to Go to Libya
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- British PM David Cameron Cuts Short Summer Holiday to Lead Hunt for Foley Beheader; Abbott Calls Decapitation ‘Pure Evil’
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members