Secret Conversations Leaked: French Ex-President Nicholas Sarkozy and Wife Carla Bruni Takes Legal Action for Privacy Breach
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 7, 2014 11:41 AM EST
Former French president Nicholas Sarkozy and wife, model turned singer-songwriter Carla Bruni-Sarkozy are seeking legal action after private conversations of the couple were leaked online.
The tapes containing the Mr. Sarkozy and Mrs. Bruni-Sarkozy's conversations were recorded in 2011 by journalist and former aide, Patrick Buisson who also allegedly leaked the videos. Mr. Buisson was reported to be Mr. Sarkozy's former favourite, and his political advice were followed by the ex-president for more than 10 years according to a source.
Carla Bruni-Sarkozy and her husband, France’s former president Nicolas Sarkozy (Reuters)
Lawyers for Mr. Sarkozy will bring the matter into court seeking injunction to prevent more copies of the recording from being published. The leaked conversations are said to be uninteresting and will unlikely cause damage to the former president's political career.
In the recording, Carla Bruni is heard complaining about her status as Sarkozy's first lady saying that she cannot accept "anti-wrinkle cream" endorsements and other lucrative campaigns like the stars of her generation. She mentioned of Julia Roberts, Sharon Stone, and, Julianne Moore getting huge contracts, but she cannot accept any of those.
"I've turned you into a kept man ... and there I was thinking I'd married a guy with a salary," Bruni said over the recording, in a Guardian report.
The former first lady is known for her high-end living even before she even married Mr. Sarkozy in 2008, and being a multi-millionaire and heiress to a fortune of tire manufacturing company, CEAT (later sold to Pirelli), Bruni is far way richer than her husband.
"I got rich by getting married," Sarkozy replied in Bruni's sentiments on making money.
The former French leader expressed his disappointment, and is reported to be furious about the matter. Henry Guiano, a close ally of the Mr. Sarkozy said that the latter felt "betrayed," in a BBC report.
Buisson recorded hundreds of hours of private conversations, including meetings during Sarkozy's term as president. Buisson's lawyer Gilles-William Goldnadel, on the other hand claims that these recordings were made for note-taking purposes, and were not meant to be made public.
The leak was published by the country's satirical newspaper Le Canard Enchainé on Wednesday, March 5. Buisson denies being the perpetrator of the leak, and will also be taking legal actions to prove that the tapes were stolen and were unlawfully used.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Cult Linked To Missing NSW Brothers
- Islamic State: British PM Cameron To Call For Air Strike After Militants Beheaded David Haines
- Vatican Car Has Cocaine and Cannabis
- Islamic State: UK Admits It Has No Power To Save Briton Alan Henning’s Head From Being Chopped
- Sydney Police Intercept $75M Worth Of Drugs In Frozen Fish Disguised As Liquid In Ice Packs
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown