Andrew Garfield Not A Villain: ‘Spider-Man’ Did Not Scrap ‘Batkid’ Miles Scott’s Oscar Appearance
By Anne Lu | March 7, 2014 9:19 AM EST
Andrew Garfield isn’t as heartless as the new reports claim. The “Spider-Man” star was supposed to take 5-year-old Miles Scott, or more known as “Batkid” who saved the city of San Francisco in November, to the Academy Awards, but he reportedly cancelled when he didn’t like the script, breaking the cancer patient’s heart in the process.
According to the New York Post, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences had arranged for Miles to appear on the show with Garfield so they could go as Batkid and Spider-Man together.
However, the 30-year-old actor was apparently unhappy with the script he was given so he scrapped the whole thing.
“The Academy was going to make him an official superhero during the Oscar ceremony. Andrew Garfield was going to appoint him ‘Batkid.’ But in the middle of the dress rehearsal, Garfield decided he didn’t like his lines,” a source told the paper.
“Garfield refused to go by the script. He came up with his own lines. The producers felt that Garfield’s [rewrites] were not appropriate. Garfield had a tantrum. He stormed off. Miles and his family, who were at the rehearsal, were devastated.”
The source also called Garfield a “spoiled brat.”
The Academy had to cut the superhero initiation after Garfield’s alleged tantrum, but they paid for Miles to go to Disneyland.
The news made Garfield a villain instead of the superhero kids know him to be. However, according to the Academy, it wasn’t Garfield’s fault that the segment was abandoned.
“Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of the production,” a rep for the Academy told Us Weekly.
“Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with 5-year-old Miles Scott (Batkid) and his family.”
The Make-A-Wish Foundation is a charitable organisation in the U.S. that arranges wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to come true.
In November, it made Miles’ dream of becoming Batkid a reality when it arranged for the city of San Francisco to let him play superhero there.
Garfield will reprise his role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man in “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” which will be released in April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine