3 Killer Features Of 2014 Apple MacBook Air: Two-Sided Display, Pressure Sensitive TrackPad And Touch Buttons
By Precious Silva | March 7, 2014 7:12 AM EST
Apple may be launching the 2014 MacBook Air later in the year but leaks have started surfacing.
Recent report suggested the next MacBook Air will feature pressure sensitive touch buttons and trackpad, including a two-sided display. Other reports claimed Apple has plans on turning it into a solar-powered notebook. What can people expect from the 2014 MacBook Air?
A worker cleans glass in front of an iPhone 5C advertisement at an apple store in Kunming, Yunnan province, in this October 27, 2013.
Apple has not confirmed the release of theMacBook Air yet but analysts draw from previous records predicting what Apple may have this year. Each year, the company updates its line of products, including the Air series.
Many analysts are also convinced by the release of the Air because of the patents that Apple acquired recently.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office have published a series of patents relating to Apple's MacBook lineup. The company will be taking the new Air to a higher level similar to the iPhone products.
One of the patent filings described inclusion of touch buttons around the case. The patent describes a touch-sensitve MacBook chassis allowing the device to recognize the user's touch throughout the bezel. This may allow Apple to get rid of the physical buttons for a better and more intuitive computing experience. The patent goes by U.S. Patent No. 8,654,524. "Housing as an I/O device" describes a laptop housing that functions as an input/output device aside from protecting the computer's hardware.
Pressure Sensitive TrackPad
There has also been a patent sighting of a new trackpad for Apple. According to the patent, "Touch pad with force sensors and actuator feedback," Apple plans to expand its touch functions in its next laptop. Instead of the usual clicking button on the trackpad, users can work with the laptop through the pad sensors alone.
Two-Sided and Solar Display
Another interesting feature reported for the Air is the two-sided display. According to U.S. Patent No. 8,638,549 for an "Electronic device display module," the MacBook will come with a two-sided display with one side functioning as solar charging component with rear touch inputs.
People will have to wait for Apple's official announcements to know what they can expect.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]