Ronald Reagan Shooter John Hinckley Free, 'Released And Unsupervised' [PHOTO]
By Vanessa Francisco | March 7, 2014 7:04 AM EST
John Hinckley, Jr. who shot former President Ronald Reagan in 1981 was found to be insane and has spent majority of his years in a mental facility after conviction.
There had been conflicting views with regard to his conviction. While psychiatric reports listed him as insane, the prosecution still believed he was sane enough in legal terms to serve his sentence in jail.
Hinckley's attorneys have been working for the past 10 years to free him. Finally in December 2013, a recommendation to free him was granted by U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman.
From 10 days per month, Hinckley will now be allowed to leave prison for 17 days per month to stay with his mother in Williamsburg, Virginia. Judge Friedman also issued a 29-point order laying out the conditions of Hinckley's release.
This included the terms about Hinckley's travel, volunteer work, Internet use, strolls within the subdivision, medication and therapy. Hinckley can now roam around unsupervised as long as he avoids government centers and has a GPS-enabled mobile phone with him all the time.
According to Globe magazine, the people living in the same area as Hinckley's mother have been outraged with the decision because there has been no word whether he has been cured of his illness or not thus making him still a violent threat to society.
"There is no reason to fear Hinckley," Barry Levine, his lawyer, told ABC. He stressed during court hearings that Hinckley is no longer a threat.
Hospital officials have confirmed that the mental illness that caused Hinckley to impress Actress Jodie Foster and shoot Reagan has been in remission for several years now. But remission clearly does not exactly mean was 100 percent cured.
Hinckley, 58, can now drive by himself as long as he is traveling to places where people are waiting for him. This includes doing volunteer work at the hospital and therapy appointments.
Earlier, he was required to be accompanied by his family members. But he can also have his own time alone, which includes being unsupervised going six out of towns that could last up to 4 hours each.
See Hinckley's photo here
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu