Former Hindu Editor Siddharth Varadarajan Threatened by Goons,Beat Up his Caretaker[VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | March 7, 2014 2:49 AM EST
Senior Journalist and former editor of Indian national daily- The Hindu, Siddharth Varadarajan revealed on social media on Thursday that four goons recently beat up his caretaker and told him to warn Varadarajan to 'watch what he says on TV.'
In his Facebook page, on Thursday Siddharth Varadarajan posted: "Four thugs recently beat up the caretaker of my flat in Delhi. The incident took place near our home, with the thugs saying, 'Tell your sahib to watch what he says on TV.' They also issued a threat to my wife, Prof Nandini Sundar, about her Chhattisgarh case. We don't know who they are, but it's clearly aimed to intimidate. The caretaker is recovering. While the police have been helpful and are reviewing neighborhood CCTV footage, I am making this incident public on the advice of friends who believe it may serve some deterrent value."
It is rumored that his anti-Modi stance may have earned him the wrath of the right wing fanatics. His book Gujarat: The Making of a Tragedy,attacks the hindu religious leaders and their ideologies. It is speculated that his stance may have earned him the wrath of right-wing fanatics.
The incident has baffled Varadarajan as well, as he has no idea,what exactly the goons found offending.In his Twitter account Siddharth (@svaradarajan) posted:" I have no idea what they took offence too, since I'm on [TV] virtually every day!"
Siddharth Varadarajan is popular Indian -American journalist, editor, and academic. And has also worked with the Times of India, the largest Indian daily, as its Deputy Editor.
In the run-up to the elections, there have been several incidents pointing to an increasing lack of acceptance and intolerance in India. Recently American author Wendy Doniger also came under attack over her book. Penguin Books India was forced to withdraw Doniger's "The Hindus: An Alternative History" from Indian bookstores and pulp any remaining copies owing to a legal battle started by a right wing Hindu fundamentalist group.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports