iPhone 6 Release Date: Patent Sightings Hint New Smartphone is More Than Upgrade of iPhone 5S
By Raymond Ronamai | March 7, 2014 12:37 AM EST
Apple Inc. is tight-lipped on the release date of its new flagship smartphone, iPhone 6 but several reports have claimed that it would see the light of the day in the second half of the year, and would be very different from the previous models.
Screenshot from KDB Daewoo Sec
iPhone 6 vs Galaxy S5
If one is to go by the reports on Apple's next-generation smartphone, iPhone 6 is not just an upgradation of features from iPhone 5S and other previous models but a different device all together with lots of changes.
Patent sightings over the last few weeks have revealed lots of things related to Apple's upcoming products. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has granted the Cupertino giant the patent (number 8,666,034) for "Audio call screening for hosted voicemail systems," which will allow a user to screen messages being left at a hosted voicemail system from a telephone terminal, allowing him or her to take the decision on whether to take the call or not.
United States Patent Application number 20140055483 under "Computer User Interface System and Methods" has suggested that Apple is all set to take its next-generation smartphone to a whole new level. This technology, which is expected to be introduced in iPhone 6, will let users control their devices from a certain distance without actually touching them with the help of sensors that recognise movements, gestures, distance, depth proximity and location.
The US Patent & Trademark Office has also published a patent application from Apple titled "Systems and Methods for Preventing Light Guide Plate Scratching Artifacts," according to Patently Apple. This would mean iPhone 6 may sport a screen layer protection that will be self-healing, hinting a possible elimination of unsightly artifacts.
iPhone 6 is expected to a larger screen entirely made from the scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass, which is almost unbreakable and second only to diamond in hardness. It is is expected to sport a 4.7/4.8' or 5.5' display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), powered by A8 chip (64-bit) and run on iOS 7.2. It is also expected to have a 1,800mAh battery, according to South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell