Russian Skier Paralysed for Life after Sochi Olympics Crash
By Rachelle Corpuz | March 6, 2014 10:25 PM EST
Russian skier Maria Komissarova is reportedly paralysed for life after she suffered a crash during one of her training runs at the recently concluded Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. Kommisarova's case is reportedly the first serious injury in Sochi.
Russia's President Vladimir Putin (R) visits Russian Olympic skicross racer Maria Komissarova at a hospital in Sochi, February 15, 2014. Russian Olympic skicross racer Maria Komissarova underwent six-and-a-half hours of spinal surgery on Saturday after breaking her back in a Sochi 2014 training crash. The Kremlin said Russian President Vladimir Putin would visit Komissarova, who was now conscious, while the International Olympic Committee (IOC) said in a statement: "Our thoughts are with the athlete and the family". REUTERS/Mikhail Klimentyev/RIA Novosti/Kremlin
According to a news report by the Sydney Morning Herald, the 23-year-old skier broke her 12th dorsal vertebrae in her lower-middle back on Feb. 15 while training at the Rosa Khutor Extreme Park. Komissarova was instantly brought to the hospital facility particularly constructed for the Winter Olympics where she received immediate operation on her back that lasted for six hours. A metal was implanted on her fractured back before she was transported to Munich, Germany to receive further expert treatment.
The Russian Freestyle Federation revealed in a statement after getting in touch with the surgeons who attend to Komissarova's case that the skier is paralysed for life and that she will only be able to move on her own by means of special devices.
"Due to the severity of injury, the functions of the spinal canal are not regenerating," the statement reads.
"Doctors in Munich said that she needed to remain in rehab for approximately 10 weeks, during which she will adapt to new conditions of life."
Komissarova may be scarred for life but she is hopeful that one day, she will be able to walk on her feet again. She is thankful for the support that she is getting during this time. President Vladimir Putin had visited her at the hospital, but Komissarova is more thankful for the presence and support of her long-time boyfriend Alex Chaadaev, who is a ski cross skier and part of the Russian Ski Cross Team.
On Feb. 26, Komissarova posted a picture of her with her Chaadaev at her hospital bed on Instagram. "Ten days have passed since the operation on my spine, I do not feel the body below the navel but I am strong and I know that someday I can stand on my legs again," she wrote in Russian language.
"If not for Alex, I would have probably gone mad," she added.
"He is my God, even during these moments, I continue to be happy, though it is very hard."
"All this time, he did not depart from my bed, giving me all the energy."
"In any case, our life goes on and I pray and believe that everything will be okay."
Komissarova is the first Russian female to win a World Cup medal. She placed second at the 2012 World Cup in Grindelwald, Switzerland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change