Russia Today Anchor’s Dramatic Resignation Live on Air: Network Accuses Liz Wahl for Staging ‘Self-Promotional Stunt’ [Video]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 6, 2014 9:57 PM EST
An anchor with the television channel RT - 'Russia Today' - dramatically issued her resignation live on air on Wednesday afternoon, in protest of deployment of Russia-backed forces in Ukraine on Wednesday.
You Tube Screen Shot
An anchor with the television channel RT – ‘Russia Today’ – dramatically issued her resignation live on air on Wednesday afternoon (You Tube Screen Shot)
The journalist, recognized as Liz Wahl, said during the dramatic broadcast that she could no longer work for the network which she said was whitewashing moves by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"My grandparents came here as refugees during the Hungarian revolution, ironically to escape the Soviet forces," she said during the live broadcast.
"Personally, I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian government that whitewashes the actions of Putin," she said. "I'm proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth, and that is why, after this newscast, I am resigning," she added.
The shocking on-air resignation is first of its kind. The action comes after another US-based RT host, Abby Martin, criticized the action of pro-Russian military units on her show.
Watch the dramatic video below
Reacting to the embarrassing live resignation of the journalist, the television network accused Wahl of her "self-promotional stunt" and said that her professionalism was in question, News 24 reported.
"When a journalist disagrees with the editorial position of his or her organization, the usual course of action is to address those grievances with the editor and if they cannot be resolved, they must quit like a professional," it said adding: "When someone makes a big public show of a personal decision, it is nothing more than a self-promotional stunt."
The Russian-funded network is often considered to have a pro-Russia view.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports