Russia Today Anchor’s Dramatic Resignation Live on Air: Network Accuses Liz Wahl for Staging ‘Self-Promotional Stunt’ [Video]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 6, 2014 9:57 PM EST
An anchor with the television channel RT - 'Russia Today' - dramatically issued her resignation live on air on Wednesday afternoon, in protest of deployment of Russia-backed forces in Ukraine on Wednesday.
You Tube Screen Shot
An anchor with the television channel RT – ‘Russia Today’ – dramatically issued her resignation live on air on Wednesday afternoon (You Tube Screen Shot)
The journalist, recognized as Liz Wahl, said during the dramatic broadcast that she could no longer work for the network which she said was whitewashing moves by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
"My grandparents came here as refugees during the Hungarian revolution, ironically to escape the Soviet forces," she said during the live broadcast.
"Personally, I cannot be part of a network funded by the Russian government that whitewashes the actions of Putin," she said. "I'm proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth, and that is why, after this newscast, I am resigning," she added.
The shocking on-air resignation is first of its kind. The action comes after another US-based RT host, Abby Martin, criticized the action of pro-Russian military units on her show.
Watch the dramatic video below
Reacting to the embarrassing live resignation of the journalist, the television network accused Wahl of her "self-promotional stunt" and said that her professionalism was in question, News 24 reported.
"When a journalist disagrees with the editorial position of his or her organization, the usual course of action is to address those grievances with the editor and if they cannot be resolved, they must quit like a professional," it said adding: "When someone makes a big public show of a personal decision, it is nothing more than a self-promotional stunt."
The Russian-funded network is often considered to have a pro-Russia view.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Julie Bishop to Attend UN Climate Summit; Australia Pressured to Announce 'Bolder' Target
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date