Lok Sabha Election 2014: Nilekani to Get Biocon Chief's Monetary Aid to Meet Poll Expenses
By Rama Mohan | March 6, 2014 9:08 PM EST
Nandan Nilekani, who is tipped to contest Lok Sabha election 2014 from Bangalore South seat on a Congress ticket, has received support from Biocon chief Kiran Mazumdar and a ₹10 lakh donation for his election expenses.
Nandan Nilekani, co-chairman of Infosys Technologies Ltd, India's No. 2 outsourcer, has resigned from the company's board to join the government.
Shaw is heading a non-profit organisation, Bangalore Political Action Committee (BPAC), which provides monetay aid to clean and good candidates contesting elections.
"We don't provide an army of volunteers. But what we can do is give them the money to mobilise an army of volunteers," The Economic Times quoted Shaw. With the announcement of the donation to Nilekani, BPAC has sent a message to the society that it wants to send good people to parliament and legislature houses.
It is widely reported that Congress has decided to field Nilekani from Bangalore South parliamentary constituency, where he is likely to be up against the sitting MP H. N. Ananthakumar from BJP, who has won the seat five times.
However, BJP is yet to announce its candidate to the Bangalore South parliamentary constitute.
To his credit, Nilekani himself was heading a forum called Bangalore Agenda Task Force in early 2000, which focuses on improving public delivery services in the city. He is the Chairman of the Unique Indentification Authority of India (UIDAI) and co-founder of Infosys.
Immediately after expressing an interest in politics, the 58-year-old started campaigning through personal interactions with young voters at college-level and online drive to woo the city's working class and IT professionals. He is yet to resign from his UIDAI job, equal to a cabinet ministry in the Union government. He is expected to quit the job once Congress officially announces his candidature. The party is said to have already cleared his name to contest from the Bangalore South constituency.
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell