'If London Were Syria' Video on Brutality of War Goes Viral with Over 2 Million Views [PHOTOS,VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | March 6, 2014 9:06 PM EST
To coincide with the approaching third anniversary of the Syrian crisis that killed at least 10,000 children, charity group Save the Children released a brutally honest and touching video. The charity created the time-lapse video, named 'If London Were Syria', as part of their efforts to raise awareness about the plight of Syrian children.
The video ad, by creative agency Don't Panic, starts with a happy young girl blowing out candles on a birthday cake, playing dress-up and asleep peacefully in a car. But slowly the images turn darker, and scene shows disruption, chaos, bombing and panic as London gets gripped into a Syria-type conflict. And the girl and her family are forced to flee their home in fear. The video in the end shows the young girl looking sad and lonely, a year after in hospital care unit, blowing off a candle on her birthday.
The on-screen text at the end reads: "Just because it isn't happening here doesn't mean it isn't happening." The video, since it was posted on 5 March, has gone viral and gained over 2.8 million views.
On 5 March, the UN Independent commission also released its report, detailing how children in Syria have been sexually abused in government detention, recruited to fight with the opposition, tortured and used as civilian shields.
The commission investigating the human rights violations in Syria estimated that at least 10,000 children have been killed and "grave violations against children" have been committed by "all parties to the conflict" since the civil unrest began in the country since March 2011.
'If London Were Syria' :Watch Video
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How