'If London Were Syria' Video on Brutality of War Goes Viral with Over 2 Million Views [PHOTOS,VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | March 6, 2014 9:06 PM EST
To coincide with the approaching third anniversary of the Syrian crisis that killed at least 10,000 children, charity group Save the Children released a brutally honest and touching video. The charity created the time-lapse video, named 'If London Were Syria', as part of their efforts to raise awareness about the plight of Syrian children.
The video ad, by creative agency Don't Panic, starts with a happy young girl blowing out candles on a birthday cake, playing dress-up and asleep peacefully in a car. But slowly the images turn darker, and scene shows disruption, chaos, bombing and panic as London gets gripped into a Syria-type conflict. And the girl and her family are forced to flee their home in fear. The video in the end shows the young girl looking sad and lonely, a year after in hospital care unit, blowing off a candle on her birthday.
The on-screen text at the end reads: "Just because it isn't happening here doesn't mean it isn't happening." The video, since it was posted on 5 March, has gone viral and gained over 2.8 million views.
On 5 March, the UN Independent commission also released its report, detailing how children in Syria have been sexually abused in government detention, recruited to fight with the opposition, tortured and used as civilian shields.
The commission investigating the human rights violations in Syria estimated that at least 10,000 children have been killed and "grave violations against children" have been committed by "all parties to the conflict" since the civil unrest began in the country since March 2011.
'If London Were Syria' :Watch Video
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools