'If London Were Syria' Video on Brutality of War Goes Viral with Over 2 Million Views [PHOTOS,VIDEO]
By Johnlee Varghese | March 6, 2014 9:06 PM EST
To coincide with the approaching third anniversary of the Syrian crisis that killed at least 10,000 children, charity group Save the Children released a brutally honest and touching video. The charity created the time-lapse video, named 'If London Were Syria', as part of their efforts to raise awareness about the plight of Syrian children.
The video ad, by creative agency Don't Panic, starts with a happy young girl blowing out candles on a birthday cake, playing dress-up and asleep peacefully in a car. But slowly the images turn darker, and scene shows disruption, chaos, bombing and panic as London gets gripped into a Syria-type conflict. And the girl and her family are forced to flee their home in fear. The video in the end shows the young girl looking sad and lonely, a year after in hospital care unit, blowing off a candle on her birthday.
The on-screen text at the end reads: "Just because it isn't happening here doesn't mean it isn't happening." The video, since it was posted on 5 March, has gone viral and gained over 2.8 million views.
On 5 March, the UN Independent commission also released its report, detailing how children in Syria have been sexually abused in government detention, recruited to fight with the opposition, tortured and used as civilian shields.
The commission investigating the human rights violations in Syria estimated that at least 10,000 children have been killed and "grave violations against children" have been committed by "all parties to the conflict" since the civil unrest began in the country since March 2011.
'If London Were Syria' :Watch Video
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps