Indian GP Return in 2015 Ruled Out by F1 Boss Ecclestone
By Shruthi SU | March 6, 2014 7:57 PM EST
Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO-President of Formula 1 Management and Administration, ruled out any possibility of Formula 1 returning to India in 2015. After making its debut in 2011 and participating for three successive years, India will now have to wait till 2016, while a race in Azerbaijan is also a probability.
"At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," Ecclestone said. "Probably 2016... they're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."
The problems of finance and tax have been present in India all along as Formula 1 is considered more of an entertainment than a sport. There could have been a deal for the Indian Grand Prix in 2015 and the following six years, had the issues been sorted out as intimated earlier. Now, the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida will have to wait for another year.
South Korea, too, has been dropped for this year's F1 season. Russia with a circuit in Olympic park Sochi, and Azerbaijan with one in capital Baku are the newest inclusions to this year's F1 calendar.
"It's nice. Be ready, because you'll have to go," Ecclestone said of Azerbaijan. "We're having a look to see if we can get it done for next year. It's not particularly straightforward but it will be a street circuit."
Meanwhile, Australia will come back at the Red Bull-owned Spielberg circuit this season, ending a long standoff from 2003. Also, confusions prevail at the German Grand Prix as the historic circuit at Nuerburgring no more hosts the event, after being switched with Hockenheim. Ecclestone said he is trying to get the best deal for latter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money