Indian GP Return in 2015 Ruled Out by F1 Boss Ecclestone
By Shruthi SU | March 6, 2014 7:57 PM EST
Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO-President of Formula 1 Management and Administration, ruled out any possibility of Formula 1 returning to India in 2015. After making its debut in 2011 and participating for three successive years, India will now have to wait till 2016, while a race in Azerbaijan is also a probability.
"At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," Ecclestone said. "Probably 2016... they're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."
The problems of finance and tax have been present in India all along as Formula 1 is considered more of an entertainment than a sport. There could have been a deal for the Indian Grand Prix in 2015 and the following six years, had the issues been sorted out as intimated earlier. Now, the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida will have to wait for another year.
South Korea, too, has been dropped for this year's F1 season. Russia with a circuit in Olympic park Sochi, and Azerbaijan with one in capital Baku are the newest inclusions to this year's F1 calendar.
"It's nice. Be ready, because you'll have to go," Ecclestone said of Azerbaijan. "We're having a look to see if we can get it done for next year. It's not particularly straightforward but it will be a street circuit."
Meanwhile, Australia will come back at the Red Bull-owned Spielberg circuit this season, ending a long standoff from 2003. Also, confusions prevail at the German Grand Prix as the historic circuit at Nuerburgring no more hosts the event, after being switched with Hockenheim. Ecclestone said he is trying to get the best deal for latter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June