Indian GP Return in 2015 Ruled Out by F1 Boss Ecclestone
By Shruthi SU | March 6, 2014 7:57 PM EST
Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO-President of Formula 1 Management and Administration, ruled out any possibility of Formula 1 returning to India in 2015. After making its debut in 2011 and participating for three successive years, India will now have to wait till 2016, while a race in Azerbaijan is also a probability.
"At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," Ecclestone said. "Probably 2016... they're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."
The problems of finance and tax have been present in India all along as Formula 1 is considered more of an entertainment than a sport. There could have been a deal for the Indian Grand Prix in 2015 and the following six years, had the issues been sorted out as intimated earlier. Now, the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida will have to wait for another year.
South Korea, too, has been dropped for this year's F1 season. Russia with a circuit in Olympic park Sochi, and Azerbaijan with one in capital Baku are the newest inclusions to this year's F1 calendar.
"It's nice. Be ready, because you'll have to go," Ecclestone said of Azerbaijan. "We're having a look to see if we can get it done for next year. It's not particularly straightforward but it will be a street circuit."
Meanwhile, Australia will come back at the Red Bull-owned Spielberg circuit this season, ending a long standoff from 2003. Also, confusions prevail at the German Grand Prix as the historic circuit at Nuerburgring no more hosts the event, after being switched with Hockenheim. Ecclestone said he is trying to get the best deal for latter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight