Indian GP Return in 2015 Ruled Out by F1 Boss Ecclestone
By Shruthi SU | March 6, 2014 7:57 PM EST
Bernie Ecclestone, the CEO-President of Formula 1 Management and Administration, ruled out any possibility of Formula 1 returning to India in 2015. After making its debut in 2011 and participating for three successive years, India will now have to wait till 2016, while a race in Azerbaijan is also a probability.
"At the moment, India won't be on for next year for sure," Ecclestone said. "Probably 2016... they're gradually getting over all the bureaucracy with the tax position inside the country and the general finance."
The problems of finance and tax have been present in India all along as Formula 1 is considered more of an entertainment than a sport. There could have been a deal for the Indian Grand Prix in 2015 and the following six years, had the issues been sorted out as intimated earlier. Now, the Buddh International Circuit in Greater Noida will have to wait for another year.
South Korea, too, has been dropped for this year's F1 season. Russia with a circuit in Olympic park Sochi, and Azerbaijan with one in capital Baku are the newest inclusions to this year's F1 calendar.
"It's nice. Be ready, because you'll have to go," Ecclestone said of Azerbaijan. "We're having a look to see if we can get it done for next year. It's not particularly straightforward but it will be a street circuit."
Meanwhile, Australia will come back at the Red Bull-owned Spielberg circuit this season, ending a long standoff from 2003. Also, confusions prevail at the German Grand Prix as the historic circuit at Nuerburgring no more hosts the event, after being switched with Hockenheim. Ecclestone said he is trying to get the best deal for latter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet