Pharrell Williams Wants To Work With Lorde (But Says She Doesn’t Need Him) [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | March 6, 2014 5:59 PM EST
Pharrell Williams thinks that it would be great to work with Lorde, but believes that the relatively industry newbie doesn’t need him. The Grammy-winning rapper/singer has high praise for the Kiwi teen, and would love to work with her in the future.
On Thursday, the 40-year-old U.S. star was a guest on the Australian breakfast show “Sunrise,” wherein he performed his top-charting hit “Happy.”
He also gave a short interview, talking about his tour in the country and about the artists whom he would like to work with.
“I would love to work with Lorde. She doesn’t need me, but I would love to work with her,” he told presenters Samantha Armytage and David Koch.
“When you hear Lorde’s music, you hear her lyrics, you hear her melody, and you hear her music. But you also feel what she’s saying,” he said.
He added, “When you do something that emotes, even if people don’t understand what you’re saying language-wise, they can feel it. There’s something that resonates with them.”
He would also want collaboration with Prince and with Katy Perry, who is his 5-year-old son Rocket’s “love.”
“Oh you just missed her! She was just here yesterday,” Koch told Pharrell, referring to Katy, who became their weathergirl on Wednesday.
For a successful music artist such as himself, Pharrell leads a low-profile private life.
“We appreciate our privacy, but at the end of the day, we’re normal people. When I’m not working, we’re homebodies and Helen’s my best friend,” he said of his wife Helen Lasichanh.
“We spend more time jumping on the bed than we do out partying. That’s fun but I think there’s just so much more to the work we’re doing right now.”
Pharrell is in Australia to perform at the Future Music Festival at the Royal Randwick Racecourse in Sydney on March 8, at the Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne on March 9, and at the Adelaide Showgrounds on March 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date