Pharrell Williams Wants To Work With Lorde (But Says She Doesn’t Need Him) [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | March 6, 2014 5:59 PM EST
Pharrell Williams thinks that it would be great to work with Lorde, but believes that the relatively industry newbie doesn’t need him. The Grammy-winning rapper/singer has high praise for the Kiwi teen, and would love to work with her in the future.
On Thursday, the 40-year-old U.S. star was a guest on the Australian breakfast show “Sunrise,” wherein he performed his top-charting hit “Happy.”
He also gave a short interview, talking about his tour in the country and about the artists whom he would like to work with.
“I would love to work with Lorde. She doesn’t need me, but I would love to work with her,” he told presenters Samantha Armytage and David Koch.
“When you hear Lorde’s music, you hear her lyrics, you hear her melody, and you hear her music. But you also feel what she’s saying,” he said.
He added, “When you do something that emotes, even if people don’t understand what you’re saying language-wise, they can feel it. There’s something that resonates with them.”
He would also want collaboration with Prince and with Katy Perry, who is his 5-year-old son Rocket’s “love.”
“Oh you just missed her! She was just here yesterday,” Koch told Pharrell, referring to Katy, who became their weathergirl on Wednesday.
For a successful music artist such as himself, Pharrell leads a low-profile private life.
“We appreciate our privacy, but at the end of the day, we’re normal people. When I’m not working, we’re homebodies and Helen’s my best friend,” he said of his wife Helen Lasichanh.
“We spend more time jumping on the bed than we do out partying. That’s fun but I think there’s just so much more to the work we’re doing right now.”
Pharrell is in Australia to perform at the Future Music Festival at the Royal Randwick Racecourse in Sydney on March 8, at the Flemington Racecourse in Melbourne on March 9, and at the Adelaide Showgrounds on March 10.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report