Manchester United Transfer News: 'Class of 92' Coach Wants Moyes to Buy Southampton and Everton Youngsters
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Former Manchester United youth coach has implored David Moyes to delve into his transfer budget to buy two promising English youngsters, who have taken the English Premier League by storm this season.
There is little doubt that United need strengthening over the summer, after a forgettable debut campaign under Moyes, and according to Eric Harrison, who oversaw the "Class of 92", the manager must sign Southampton left-back Luke Shaw and Everton playmaker Ross Barkley.
Harrison has no doubts about the capabilities of Shaw, who earned his first England cap on Wednesday in the 1-0 friendly win over Denmark.
With Patrice Evra heavily tipped to leave United this summer, Harrison believes Shaw would be a "perfect replacement." "I think he's already a fantastic footballer," Harrison told the Manchester Evening News. "He's a modern day full back, he gets forward really well and causes havoc.
"He's going to be an incredible player and he could play for England for the next 10-15 years.
"I like Patrice Evra, but he's in his 30s now and if he wants to go to another club or retire then Shaw would be the perfect replacement."
Another player that Harrison sees thriving in United's midfield is Barkley, who has had a breakout season under the man who replaced Moyes at Everton - Roberto Martinez. "I've seen him play quite a lot and he's class, there's no question about that," Harrison added. "I do wish that he would come to United.
"He would help the area where we are struggling a bit at the minute -- the midfield. He will play for a top club definitely and I hope that club is United and I'm in no doubt that he will also be a superb player for his country."
Moyes has already gone back to his old club once, signing Marouane Fellaini last summer, which it must be said hasn't quite worked out as he would have liked, so far. The Scot also failed in a bid to sign Leighton Baines, who recently committed his future to Everton by signing a new contract.
United are expected to spend a load of money in the transfer market next summer, and if Moyes can persuade either or both of the young players to move to Old Trafford, then it will be seen as a huge coup.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People