Manchester United Transfer News: 'Class of 92' Coach Wants Moyes to Buy Southampton and Everton Youngsters
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Former Manchester United youth coach has implored David Moyes to delve into his transfer budget to buy two promising English youngsters, who have taken the English Premier League by storm this season.
There is little doubt that United need strengthening over the summer, after a forgettable debut campaign under Moyes, and according to Eric Harrison, who oversaw the "Class of 92", the manager must sign Southampton left-back Luke Shaw and Everton playmaker Ross Barkley.
Harrison has no doubts about the capabilities of Shaw, who earned his first England cap on Wednesday in the 1-0 friendly win over Denmark.
With Patrice Evra heavily tipped to leave United this summer, Harrison believes Shaw would be a "perfect replacement." "I think he's already a fantastic footballer," Harrison told the Manchester Evening News. "He's a modern day full back, he gets forward really well and causes havoc.
"He's going to be an incredible player and he could play for England for the next 10-15 years.
"I like Patrice Evra, but he's in his 30s now and if he wants to go to another club or retire then Shaw would be the perfect replacement."
Another player that Harrison sees thriving in United's midfield is Barkley, who has had a breakout season under the man who replaced Moyes at Everton - Roberto Martinez. "I've seen him play quite a lot and he's class, there's no question about that," Harrison added. "I do wish that he would come to United.
"He would help the area where we are struggling a bit at the minute -- the midfield. He will play for a top club definitely and I hope that club is United and I'm in no doubt that he will also be a superb player for his country."
Moyes has already gone back to his old club once, signing Marouane Fellaini last summer, which it must be said hasn't quite worked out as he would have liked, so far. The Scot also failed in a bid to sign Leighton Baines, who recently committed his future to Everton by signing a new contract.
United are expected to spend a load of money in the transfer market next summer, and if Moyes can persuade either or both of the young players to move to Old Trafford, then it will be seen as a huge coup.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones