Manchester United Transfer News: 'Class of 92' Coach Wants Moyes to Buy Southampton and Everton Youngsters
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 5:49 PM EST
Former Manchester United youth coach has implored David Moyes to delve into his transfer budget to buy two promising English youngsters, who have taken the English Premier League by storm this season.
There is little doubt that United need strengthening over the summer, after a forgettable debut campaign under Moyes, and according to Eric Harrison, who oversaw the "Class of 92", the manager must sign Southampton left-back Luke Shaw and Everton playmaker Ross Barkley.
Harrison has no doubts about the capabilities of Shaw, who earned his first England cap on Wednesday in the 1-0 friendly win over Denmark.
With Patrice Evra heavily tipped to leave United this summer, Harrison believes Shaw would be a "perfect replacement." "I think he's already a fantastic footballer," Harrison told the Manchester Evening News. "He's a modern day full back, he gets forward really well and causes havoc.
"He's going to be an incredible player and he could play for England for the next 10-15 years.
"I like Patrice Evra, but he's in his 30s now and if he wants to go to another club or retire then Shaw would be the perfect replacement."
Another player that Harrison sees thriving in United's midfield is Barkley, who has had a breakout season under the man who replaced Moyes at Everton - Roberto Martinez. "I've seen him play quite a lot and he's class, there's no question about that," Harrison added. "I do wish that he would come to United.
"He would help the area where we are struggling a bit at the minute -- the midfield. He will play for a top club definitely and I hope that club is United and I'm in no doubt that he will also be a superb player for his country."
Moyes has already gone back to his old club once, signing Marouane Fellaini last summer, which it must be said hasn't quite worked out as he would have liked, so far. The Scot also failed in a bid to sign Leighton Baines, who recently committed his future to Everton by signing a new contract.
United are expected to spend a load of money in the transfer market next summer, and if Moyes can persuade either or both of the young players to move to Old Trafford, then it will be seen as a huge coup.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide