Mathew Belcher Appointed Skipper of Australia for America's Cup Team
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 6, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Mathew Belcher, the Olympic gold medalist, is appointed as the new skipper for Australia's sailing team for the forthcoming prestigious America's Cup. Also, on the same day, the first boat for Team Australia - AC45 Catamaran was unveiled at the Woolwich Dock in Sydney.
The new boat and its crew member, led by Belcher, will spend a couple of days training with defender Oracle Team USA, headed by Tom Slingsby. Belcher's debut to American Cup is a fresh challenge as he is much sound sailing two-man dinghies compared to a catamaran.
Belcher, who is one of the most promising sailors, has 470 class world titles. Moreover, he also holds a record of 18 regattas, straight in a row during 2011 - 2014, in association with former member Malcolm Page and his current partner Will Ryan. One key issue that comes is how Belcher will tackle the pressure preparing for 35th America's Cup which is slated to be staged in the year 2017, while at the same time campaigning for Rio 2016.
Bob Oatley of Hamilton Island Yacht Club and also a contender for 35th America's Cup, is financially supporting Team Australia and helping them in every way to create a mark in the forthcoming series.
Australia is also looking forward to win the coveted Auld Mulg tournament since their first historic win in the year 1983.
Team Australia is still in the process of finalising their team members. On a recent interview, boss Ian Murray stated the current team will focus picking up young and energetic Australian sailors.
In February, Steve Jarvin, former Skiff world champion, took Team Australia to join the Extreme Sailing Series held at Singapore, but unfortunately, the team finished at 10th spot out of 11 boats in the competition.
It is evident that Mathew Belcher will have face a tough time to get acquainted with the new catamaran and ensure success for the upcoming tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu