Mathew Belcher Appointed Skipper of Australia for America's Cup Team
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 6, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Mathew Belcher, the Olympic gold medalist, is appointed as the new skipper for Australia's sailing team for the forthcoming prestigious America's Cup. Also, on the same day, the first boat for Team Australia - AC45 Catamaran was unveiled at the Woolwich Dock in Sydney.
The new boat and its crew member, led by Belcher, will spend a couple of days training with defender Oracle Team USA, headed by Tom Slingsby. Belcher's debut to American Cup is a fresh challenge as he is much sound sailing two-man dinghies compared to a catamaran.
Belcher, who is one of the most promising sailors, has 470 class world titles. Moreover, he also holds a record of 18 regattas, straight in a row during 2011 - 2014, in association with former member Malcolm Page and his current partner Will Ryan. One key issue that comes is how Belcher will tackle the pressure preparing for 35th America's Cup which is slated to be staged in the year 2017, while at the same time campaigning for Rio 2016.
Bob Oatley of Hamilton Island Yacht Club and also a contender for 35th America's Cup, is financially supporting Team Australia and helping them in every way to create a mark in the forthcoming series.
Australia is also looking forward to win the coveted Auld Mulg tournament since their first historic win in the year 1983.
Team Australia is still in the process of finalising their team members. On a recent interview, boss Ian Murray stated the current team will focus picking up young and energetic Australian sailors.
In February, Steve Jarvin, former Skiff world champion, took Team Australia to join the Extreme Sailing Series held at Singapore, but unfortunately, the team finished at 10th spot out of 11 boats in the competition.
It is evident that Mathew Belcher will have face a tough time to get acquainted with the new catamaran and ensure success for the upcoming tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions