Mathew Belcher Appointed Skipper of Australia for America's Cup Team
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 6, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Mathew Belcher, the Olympic gold medalist, is appointed as the new skipper for Australia's sailing team for the forthcoming prestigious America's Cup. Also, on the same day, the first boat for Team Australia - AC45 Catamaran was unveiled at the Woolwich Dock in Sydney.
The new boat and its crew member, led by Belcher, will spend a couple of days training with defender Oracle Team USA, headed by Tom Slingsby. Belcher's debut to American Cup is a fresh challenge as he is much sound sailing two-man dinghies compared to a catamaran.
Belcher, who is one of the most promising sailors, has 470 class world titles. Moreover, he also holds a record of 18 regattas, straight in a row during 2011 - 2014, in association with former member Malcolm Page and his current partner Will Ryan. One key issue that comes is how Belcher will tackle the pressure preparing for 35th America's Cup which is slated to be staged in the year 2017, while at the same time campaigning for Rio 2016.
Bob Oatley of Hamilton Island Yacht Club and also a contender for 35th America's Cup, is financially supporting Team Australia and helping them in every way to create a mark in the forthcoming series.
Australia is also looking forward to win the coveted Auld Mulg tournament since their first historic win in the year 1983.
Team Australia is still in the process of finalising their team members. On a recent interview, boss Ian Murray stated the current team will focus picking up young and energetic Australian sailors.
In February, Steve Jarvin, former Skiff world champion, took Team Australia to join the Extreme Sailing Series held at Singapore, but unfortunately, the team finished at 10th spot out of 11 boats in the competition.
It is evident that Mathew Belcher will have face a tough time to get acquainted with the new catamaran and ensure success for the upcoming tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports