Mathew Belcher Appointed Skipper of Australia for America's Cup Team
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 6, 2014 5:03 PM EST
Mathew Belcher, the Olympic gold medalist, is appointed as the new skipper for Australia's sailing team for the forthcoming prestigious America's Cup. Also, on the same day, the first boat for Team Australia - AC45 Catamaran was unveiled at the Woolwich Dock in Sydney.
The new boat and its crew member, led by Belcher, will spend a couple of days training with defender Oracle Team USA, headed by Tom Slingsby. Belcher's debut to American Cup is a fresh challenge as he is much sound sailing two-man dinghies compared to a catamaran.
Belcher, who is one of the most promising sailors, has 470 class world titles. Moreover, he also holds a record of 18 regattas, straight in a row during 2011 - 2014, in association with former member Malcolm Page and his current partner Will Ryan. One key issue that comes is how Belcher will tackle the pressure preparing for 35th America's Cup which is slated to be staged in the year 2017, while at the same time campaigning for Rio 2016.
Bob Oatley of Hamilton Island Yacht Club and also a contender for 35th America's Cup, is financially supporting Team Australia and helping them in every way to create a mark in the forthcoming series.
Australia is also looking forward to win the coveted Auld Mulg tournament since their first historic win in the year 1983.
Team Australia is still in the process of finalising their team members. On a recent interview, boss Ian Murray stated the current team will focus picking up young and energetic Australian sailors.
In February, Steve Jarvin, former Skiff world champion, took Team Australia to join the Extreme Sailing Series held at Singapore, but unfortunately, the team finished at 10th spot out of 11 boats in the competition.
It is evident that Mathew Belcher will have face a tough time to get acquainted with the new catamaran and ensure success for the upcoming tournaments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation