Not Miscarriage: Shayne Lamas and Nik Richie Shares Heartbreaking Details about Dead Baby, Having More Babies
By Annie Dee | March 6, 2014 4:50 PM EST
Many believed Shayne Lamas suffered from ordinary miscarriage back in early February. Not that miscarriage is anything ordinary, but the Shayne Lamas and Nik Richie reveals to InTouch that their case was not one of miscarriage at all, it was much more complicated. Losing a baby is heartbreaking enough, but hearing the couple share the details can bring tears to the eyes.
Lamas, who was on the 12th Season of the Bachelor shared that they lost Rex Jagger, the name they gave to the baby, not because Shayne Lamas was not healthy enough to give birth. According to the doctors, baby Res has been growing halfway outside her uterus and was attached to both Shayne's womb and bladder that a health pregnancy cannot be expected, at all. Everything was set to end that way and it could not be any more heartbreaking for them.
No matter how difficult, Shayne was trying her best to carry the baby. However, when her placenta became punctured, Shayne started to haemorrhage. The daughter of actor Lorenzo Lamas could have died if she continues on with the pregnancy. In order to save her, the couple had to spare the unborn child's life. The doctors told Richie, "The baby is killing her. We have to remove the fetus or Shayne is going to die," and Richie had no choice but to save his wife and let the doctors remove the growing life inside Shayne's body.
Even though a life was saved, the couple cannot really say they were happy with the decision. On February 9, Shayne Lamas was taken to the hospital after suffering from cramps like she never felt before, and when she woke up, she was told the baby was gone. The doctors had performed hysterectomy on her and she cannot be any angrier. "I screamed from the top of my lungs," she shared to InTouch. "You never think something like this will happen to you."
However, Nik did not really have a choice. Shayne already lost 15 pints of blood and the doctors were not even sure she can live. Richie said his wife already died on the table and she was miraculously brought back. "The doctors said it was an absolute miracle. There were two minutes where she lost oxygen to her brain." Nik revealed.
Nik also revealed saying a heartfelt goodbye to the kid he will never see smiling at him or grow up. "I picked him up and I told him how much we loved him," said Nik. "I kissed him on the forehead, held his hand and told him I would see him one day." Nik added, "He was the most beautiful child. He looked just like Shayne."
With Rex's ashes scattered in the Pacific Ocean, the couple is trying to move on with their lives even though they said there is going to be a part of them that will feel bad forever. According to Shayne, "it's so hard when I'm giving Press a bath and I picture that there was supposed to be another one in the tub.' Shayne also shared, "I'd started to clean the newborn clothes. Now I can't bear to look at them. For the rest of my life, I'm going to think of my son who never got to live."
Any parents would be able to sympathize. If there is anything positive in their story, it is the fact that hysterectomy did not destroy Shayne's ovaries, which meant she can have more children. To avoid complications like this, she can opt to surrogate.
"I'll be able to give my eggs to a surrogate," she said. "I absolutely will have more kids. I want that for my family."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales