Cat Invasion: Someone Opens Another Cat Café; Why Do People Love Cats?
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 6, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The Gatoreca, Spain's first cat café, celebrated International Cat Day on Feb. 20 calling the festival FESTIMIAU! According to globalpost.com, showing the friendly, loyal and loving side of felines is one of the festival's goals.
On Mar. 1, London's first cat café, "Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium" in Bethnal Green, East London, had its grand opening. Daily Mail reported thousands made an attempt to book a table at the cat café, resulting to Lady Dinah's Web site crashing within hours after the opening date was announced online.
Carlos Wong, eonline reported, said he was inspired by the cat cafés in Tokyo and was hoping to open "Catfé" in Los Angeles. Wong has already gotten the permit both from L.A. Department of Public Health and the Department of Animal Services. What Wong needed is to get $350,000 from the online campaign he started for the opening of the cat café.
Catfé, according to the video that Wong posted, will be helping promote cat adoption with local cat shelters. Wong has one month to raise the funds.
"Pet cafes offer a nice alternative. People come in to unwind, get a warm drink and snack, and spend some quality time with their furry friends," Wong explained in the video.
Aside from Catfé, there is also "KitTea," which seeks funds through a crowdfunding campaign. According to San Francisco Business Times, KitTea promised San Franciscans to be the first cat café in the U.S. The café's funding target is $50,000, which is way lesser amount than Catfé's target.
In Oakland, Cat Town announced it is also gathering funds for opening "Cat Town Café." Cat Town is "devoted to helping cats leave the shelter and find safe outdoor homes."
But why do people love cats? Here is a summarized answer from a cat study posted on news.discovery.com: "cats may not do what they are told, but they usually adore their human caretakers . . . . Cats do actually pay attention to their owners, distinguishing them from all other people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports