Cat Invasion: Someone Opens Another Cat Café; Why Do People Love Cats?
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 6, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The Gatoreca, Spain's first cat café, celebrated International Cat Day on Feb. 20 calling the festival FESTIMIAU! According to globalpost.com, showing the friendly, loyal and loving side of felines is one of the festival's goals.
On Mar. 1, London's first cat café, "Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium" in Bethnal Green, East London, had its grand opening. Daily Mail reported thousands made an attempt to book a table at the cat café, resulting to Lady Dinah's Web site crashing within hours after the opening date was announced online.
Carlos Wong, eonline reported, said he was inspired by the cat cafés in Tokyo and was hoping to open "Catfé" in Los Angeles. Wong has already gotten the permit both from L.A. Department of Public Health and the Department of Animal Services. What Wong needed is to get $350,000 from the online campaign he started for the opening of the cat café.
Catfé, according to the video that Wong posted, will be helping promote cat adoption with local cat shelters. Wong has one month to raise the funds.
"Pet cafes offer a nice alternative. People come in to unwind, get a warm drink and snack, and spend some quality time with their furry friends," Wong explained in the video.
Aside from Catfé, there is also "KitTea," which seeks funds through a crowdfunding campaign. According to San Francisco Business Times, KitTea promised San Franciscans to be the first cat café in the U.S. The café's funding target is $50,000, which is way lesser amount than Catfé's target.
In Oakland, Cat Town announced it is also gathering funds for opening "Cat Town Café." Cat Town is "devoted to helping cats leave the shelter and find safe outdoor homes."
But why do people love cats? Here is a summarized answer from a cat study posted on news.discovery.com: "cats may not do what they are told, but they usually adore their human caretakers . . . . Cats do actually pay attention to their owners, distinguishing them from all other people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate