Cat Invasion: Someone Opens Another Cat Café; Why Do People Love Cats?
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | March 6, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The Gatoreca, Spain's first cat café, celebrated International Cat Day on Feb. 20 calling the festival FESTIMIAU! According to globalpost.com, showing the friendly, loyal and loving side of felines is one of the festival's goals.
On Mar. 1, London's first cat café, "Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium" in Bethnal Green, East London, had its grand opening. Daily Mail reported thousands made an attempt to book a table at the cat café, resulting to Lady Dinah's Web site crashing within hours after the opening date was announced online.
Carlos Wong, eonline reported, said he was inspired by the cat cafés in Tokyo and was hoping to open "Catfé" in Los Angeles. Wong has already gotten the permit both from L.A. Department of Public Health and the Department of Animal Services. What Wong needed is to get $350,000 from the online campaign he started for the opening of the cat café.
Catfé, according to the video that Wong posted, will be helping promote cat adoption with local cat shelters. Wong has one month to raise the funds.
"Pet cafes offer a nice alternative. People come in to unwind, get a warm drink and snack, and spend some quality time with their furry friends," Wong explained in the video.
Aside from Catfé, there is also "KitTea," which seeks funds through a crowdfunding campaign. According to San Francisco Business Times, KitTea promised San Franciscans to be the first cat café in the U.S. The café's funding target is $50,000, which is way lesser amount than Catfé's target.
In Oakland, Cat Town announced it is also gathering funds for opening "Cat Town Café." Cat Town is "devoted to helping cats leave the shelter and find safe outdoor homes."
But why do people love cats? Here is a summarized answer from a cat study posted on news.discovery.com: "cats may not do what they are told, but they usually adore their human caretakers . . . . Cats do actually pay attention to their owners, distinguishing them from all other people."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Coming Out Gay Defies Corporate Norm: Tech Execs Applaud Inspiring Essay
- Bombshell, Shocking And Wild Read: Jefferies & Co. Sage Kelly Forces Wife To Have Sex With Clients For A Deal
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Walmart Sells ‘Fat Girl Costumes’ for Halloween
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists