Big Scary’s ‘Not Art’ Takes Gong At The Australian Music Prize
By Anne Lu | March 6, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Tom Iansek and Joanna Syme of the indie pop duo Big Scary have taken won the top prize at the 9th annual Australian Music Prize for “Not Art” on Wednesday. Their win includes $30,000 winner’s check for beating out eight other acts for the prize.
They were announced as winners at the ceremony held in Sydney on Wednesday. They were shortlisted for the award, along with fellow contenders Jen Cloher (“In Blood Memory”), Dialectrix (“The Cold Light of Day”), Kirin J Callinan (“Embracism”), Beaches (“She Beats”), Horrowshow (“King Amongs Many”), Jagwar Ma (“Howling”), Cloud Control (“Dream Cave”), and Jimblah (“Phoenix”).
“You don’t start a band to win awards, you do it because you love it,” Iansek said during his award acceptance.
“THE AMP isn’t just another award. It honours this love of music and is voted on by music lovers.”
Syme added after their win, “We’re huge fans of AMP. Any award that has bands like The Mess Hall and Eddy Current Suppression Ring in its short history of winners has gotta be doing something right. That’s why it’s a huge honour to be awarded this year’s prize.”
Aside from The Mess Hall and Eddy Current Suppression Ring, the Melbourne pair joins past AMP winners The Drones, Augie March, Lisa Mitchell, and The Jezabels.
Hermitude won in 2013 for their album “HyperParadise.”
Big Scary released their first album “Vacation” in 2011. “Not Art” was released in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon