Big Scary’s ‘Not Art’ Takes Gong At The Australian Music Prize
By Anne Lu | March 6, 2014 3:56 PM EST
Tom Iansek and Joanna Syme of the indie pop duo Big Scary have taken won the top prize at the 9th annual Australian Music Prize for “Not Art” on Wednesday. Their win includes $30,000 winner’s check for beating out eight other acts for the prize.
They were announced as winners at the ceremony held in Sydney on Wednesday. They were shortlisted for the award, along with fellow contenders Jen Cloher (“In Blood Memory”), Dialectrix (“The Cold Light of Day”), Kirin J Callinan (“Embracism”), Beaches (“She Beats”), Horrowshow (“King Amongs Many”), Jagwar Ma (“Howling”), Cloud Control (“Dream Cave”), and Jimblah (“Phoenix”).
“You don’t start a band to win awards, you do it because you love it,” Iansek said during his award acceptance.
“THE AMP isn’t just another award. It honours this love of music and is voted on by music lovers.”
Syme added after their win, “We’re huge fans of AMP. Any award that has bands like The Mess Hall and Eddy Current Suppression Ring in its short history of winners has gotta be doing something right. That’s why it’s a huge honour to be awarded this year’s prize.”
Aside from The Mess Hall and Eddy Current Suppression Ring, the Melbourne pair joins past AMP winners The Drones, Augie March, Lisa Mitchell, and The Jezabels.
Hermitude won in 2013 for their album “HyperParadise.”
Big Scary released their first album “Vacation” in 2011. “Not Art” was released in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch