Lupita’s Inspiring Message on Racism and Beauty: ‘Every day I woke up wishing my skin was a little bit lighter’
By charmaine corne clutton | March 6, 2014 3:54 PM EST
The star of the moment and fashion inspiration Lupita Nyong'o once again took the awards stage to give out a very inspiring message to all the women battling with insecurity issues. During the Black Women Hollywood Luncheon, the Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o gave out a heartfelt acceptance speech detailing her former wish to have a lighter shade of skin when she was younger.
Lupita Nyong'o, best supporting actress nominee for her role in "12 Years a Slave" and wearing a Prada gown, arrives at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood
In a world where appearances seem all the rage, Lupita has stood her ground in claiming that inner beauty was the key to real aesthetic value. Born in Kenya, Lupita grew up in Mexico to learn Spanish. The Yale educated actress said that she always felt underrepresented in the entertainment industry-which was overflowing with pale skinned figures.
"I too remember a time when I would turn on the TV and only see pale skin. I got teased and taunted about my night shaded skin. And my one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was that I would wake up lighter skinned." Lupita recalls her wish to become "whiter" during her acceptance speech in the Black Women Hollywood Luncheon hosted by Essence magazine.
"I tried to negotiate with God. I told him I would stop steeling sugar cubes at night if he gave me what I wanted. I would listen to my mother's every word and never lose my school sweater again if he just made me a little lighter. But, I guess God was unimpressed with my bargaining chips because I never woke up lighter." Lupita added as she recalled her former desires to be white.
As the Oscar winner progressed, she mentioned how the black model Alek Wek changed her view on beauty. The well-celebrated model was looked up everywhere-prompting Lupita to appreciate her own skin color.
The Oscar winner has since then been catapulted as a fashion icon. Various famous designers are scrambling to dress Lupita Nyong'o. During the recent Academy awards, fashion giant Prada emerged successful-Lupita donned a beautiful light blue flowy dress from the designer.
"What actually sustains us, what is fundamentally beautiful is compassion for yourself and those around you. That kind of beauty enflames the heart and enchants the soul. It is what got Patsey in so much trouble with her master. But it is also what has kept her story alive to this day. We remember the beauty of her spirit even though the beauty of her body has faded away" Lupita said to end her heartwarming speech.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8