Inspiring Reverse Poem of a 14 year-old Boy Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 6, 2014 3:38 PM EST
At the tip of Jordan Nichols pen, life can be seen either positively or negatively-at least to those who were able to read the "secret" message of the poem he wrote. The secret is no secret after-all, it can be unlocked by reading the poem from the bottom to the top. Yes, the poem can be read in two ways.
Fourteen-year old Nichols' poem became viral after his brother Derek, uploaded an image of his write-up on the social media network, Twitter. The lad's tweet has received around 146,933 retweets and 151,811 favourites.
The poem is titled "Our Generation," and reading it from the top to bottom can give the reader an idea that the writer is a pessimist. "Our generation will be known for nothing," starts the line, and in the eye of a 14-year old boy from North Carolina, readers may feel his frustrations in the generation he is in. However, there is a beautiful twist that can be found at the end of the poem, an advice that says "Read from bottom to top now."
Read this... My 14 year old brother wrote this... Crazyyyy pic.twitter.com/RzvhJU1LUN
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 26, 2014
Reading the poem from bottom to top shows the poet's hope and belief that the humankind can succeed. In his poem, Jordan leaves readers a message to ponder with an inspiring line; "Forgetting about that time, is a dumb thing to do, being loving, respectful, and kind, is the way to go."
The poem's viral success, on the other hand did not leave the eyes of the critics. Various reports compared Jordan's poem to Jonathan Reed's "Lost Generation", which also shows a pessimist point of view until read backwards. Derek, took his brother side, defending Jordan and saying the poem is original. He also thanked the people who defended his brother from the claims.
Thanks to everyone who defended Jordan, we love you guys
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 27, 2014
When the post went viral, Derek joked that his hand is all over the internet. Succeeding tweets show Derek's unbelief of his brother's instant fame.
Since Jordan is a famous poet now, he better do my English homework for me," Derek quips on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Tips For LG Nexus 5: Notifications, Accessibility, Privacy And Saving Battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6, Galaxy Note 5 And Sony Xperia Z4: Top Things Unveiled So Far
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Apple Watch: Works Only With The iPhone And The Confusing Apple WatchKit Software
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports