Inspiring Reverse Poem of a 14 year-old Boy Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 6, 2014 3:38 PM EST
At the tip of Jordan Nichols pen, life can be seen either positively or negatively-at least to those who were able to read the "secret" message of the poem he wrote. The secret is no secret after-all, it can be unlocked by reading the poem from the bottom to the top. Yes, the poem can be read in two ways.
Fourteen-year old Nichols' poem became viral after his brother Derek, uploaded an image of his write-up on the social media network, Twitter. The lad's tweet has received around 146,933 retweets and 151,811 favourites.
The poem is titled "Our Generation," and reading it from the top to bottom can give the reader an idea that the writer is a pessimist. "Our generation will be known for nothing," starts the line, and in the eye of a 14-year old boy from North Carolina, readers may feel his frustrations in the generation he is in. However, there is a beautiful twist that can be found at the end of the poem, an advice that says "Read from bottom to top now."
Read this... My 14 year old brother wrote this... Crazyyyy pic.twitter.com/RzvhJU1LUN
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 26, 2014
Reading the poem from bottom to top shows the poet's hope and belief that the humankind can succeed. In his poem, Jordan leaves readers a message to ponder with an inspiring line; "Forgetting about that time, is a dumb thing to do, being loving, respectful, and kind, is the way to go."
The poem's viral success, on the other hand did not leave the eyes of the critics. Various reports compared Jordan's poem to Jonathan Reed's "Lost Generation", which also shows a pessimist point of view until read backwards. Derek, took his brother side, defending Jordan and saying the poem is original. He also thanked the people who defended his brother from the claims.
Thanks to everyone who defended Jordan, we love you guys
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 27, 2014
When the post went viral, Derek joked that his hand is all over the internet. Succeeding tweets show Derek's unbelief of his brother's instant fame.
Since Jordan is a famous poet now, he better do my English homework for me," Derek quips on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier