Inspiring Reverse Poem of a 14 year-old Boy Goes Viral
By Jenille Cristy Maido | March 6, 2014 3:38 PM EST
At the tip of Jordan Nichols pen, life can be seen either positively or negatively-at least to those who were able to read the "secret" message of the poem he wrote. The secret is no secret after-all, it can be unlocked by reading the poem from the bottom to the top. Yes, the poem can be read in two ways.
Fourteen-year old Nichols' poem became viral after his brother Derek, uploaded an image of his write-up on the social media network, Twitter. The lad's tweet has received around 146,933 retweets and 151,811 favourites.
The poem is titled "Our Generation," and reading it from the top to bottom can give the reader an idea that the writer is a pessimist. "Our generation will be known for nothing," starts the line, and in the eye of a 14-year old boy from North Carolina, readers may feel his frustrations in the generation he is in. However, there is a beautiful twist that can be found at the end of the poem, an advice that says "Read from bottom to top now."
Read this... My 14 year old brother wrote this... Crazyyyy pic.twitter.com/RzvhJU1LUN
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 26, 2014
Reading the poem from bottom to top shows the poet's hope and belief that the humankind can succeed. In his poem, Jordan leaves readers a message to ponder with an inspiring line; "Forgetting about that time, is a dumb thing to do, being loving, respectful, and kind, is the way to go."
The poem's viral success, on the other hand did not leave the eyes of the critics. Various reports compared Jordan's poem to Jonathan Reed's "Lost Generation", which also shows a pessimist point of view until read backwards. Derek, took his brother side, defending Jordan and saying the poem is original. He also thanked the people who defended his brother from the claims.
Thanks to everyone who defended Jordan, we love you guys
— Derek Nichols (@DerekNichols0) February 27, 2014
When the post went viral, Derek joked that his hand is all over the internet. Succeeding tweets show Derek's unbelief of his brother's instant fame.
Since Jordan is a famous poet now, he better do my English homework for me," Derek quips on Twitter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- Minecraft 1.8 Snapshot 14w30c Released; Partnership with Lego to Reveal Toys This Fall
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6