Manchester United Transfer News: Inter Milan Confirm Deal for Red Devils Skipper Vidic
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Manchester United skipper Nemanja Vidic will be an Inter Milan player next season, the Italian club confirmed on Wednesday.
Vidic announced last month he would be leaving United in the summer following a glorious spell with the English Premier League champions. The Serbian defender will be out of contract at the end of the season, and was free to talk to other clubs from January this year.
Inter Milan were the heavy favourites to land the 32-year-old central defender, and Inter president Erick Thohir revealed Vidic would be playing at the San Siro from next season.
"Vidic is a world-class player. I'm extremely happy to have completed this deal to bring Nemanja to Milan," Thohir said in a statement on the club's official website.
"He's one of the world's best defenders and his qualities, international pedigree and charisma will be an asset to the team and help bring through our younger players.
"He will bring added value to the club and is another piece of the great Inter side we are building. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Manchester United, Nemanja and his entourage for the professional and cooperative approach they have shown throughout the negotiations."
Vidic, who is thought to have signed a two-year contract with Inter with an option of extending it by a year, won five Premier League titles with United, a Champions League and three League Cups, and at his peak was considered as the best defender in the Premier League. But with injuries hampering his progress and new management, the former Spartak Moscow and Red Star Belgrade player decided it was time for a fresh adventure.
"Nemanja is excited about the choice he's made," Vidic's agent Silvano Martina said. "He had already decided to leave Manchester United, and Inter was a really interesting option.
"On January 1st negotiations began. That's when all the parties started talking. Nemanja loved everything about this project and hopes to carry the club forward.
"Nemanja is a professional though, so right now he wants to do well for Manchester United, honouring the club and the fans."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate