Manchester United Transfer News: Inter Milan Confirm Deal for Red Devils Skipper Vidic
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Manchester United skipper Nemanja Vidic will be an Inter Milan player next season, the Italian club confirmed on Wednesday.
Vidic announced last month he would be leaving United in the summer following a glorious spell with the English Premier League champions. The Serbian defender will be out of contract at the end of the season, and was free to talk to other clubs from January this year.
Inter Milan were the heavy favourites to land the 32-year-old central defender, and Inter president Erick Thohir revealed Vidic would be playing at the San Siro from next season.
"Vidic is a world-class player. I'm extremely happy to have completed this deal to bring Nemanja to Milan," Thohir said in a statement on the club's official website.
"He's one of the world's best defenders and his qualities, international pedigree and charisma will be an asset to the team and help bring through our younger players.
"He will bring added value to the club and is another piece of the great Inter side we are building. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Manchester United, Nemanja and his entourage for the professional and cooperative approach they have shown throughout the negotiations."
Vidic, who is thought to have signed a two-year contract with Inter with an option of extending it by a year, won five Premier League titles with United, a Champions League and three League Cups, and at his peak was considered as the best defender in the Premier League. But with injuries hampering his progress and new management, the former Spartak Moscow and Red Star Belgrade player decided it was time for a fresh adventure.
"Nemanja is excited about the choice he's made," Vidic's agent Silvano Martina said. "He had already decided to leave Manchester United, and Inter was a really interesting option.
"On January 1st negotiations began. That's when all the parties started talking. Nemanja loved everything about this project and hopes to carry the club forward.
"Nemanja is a professional though, so right now he wants to do well for Manchester United, honouring the club and the fans."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change