Manchester United Transfer News: Inter Milan Confirm Deal for Red Devils Skipper Vidic
By Deepak Vikraman | March 6, 2014 3:17 PM EST
Manchester United skipper Nemanja Vidic will be an Inter Milan player next season, the Italian club confirmed on Wednesday.
Vidic announced last month he would be leaving United in the summer following a glorious spell with the English Premier League champions. The Serbian defender will be out of contract at the end of the season, and was free to talk to other clubs from January this year.
Inter Milan were the heavy favourites to land the 32-year-old central defender, and Inter president Erick Thohir revealed Vidic would be playing at the San Siro from next season.
"Vidic is a world-class player. I'm extremely happy to have completed this deal to bring Nemanja to Milan," Thohir said in a statement on the club's official website.
"He's one of the world's best defenders and his qualities, international pedigree and charisma will be an asset to the team and help bring through our younger players.
"He will bring added value to the club and is another piece of the great Inter side we are building. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Manchester United, Nemanja and his entourage for the professional and cooperative approach they have shown throughout the negotiations."
Vidic, who is thought to have signed a two-year contract with Inter with an option of extending it by a year, won five Premier League titles with United, a Champions League and three League Cups, and at his peak was considered as the best defender in the Premier League. But with injuries hampering his progress and new management, the former Spartak Moscow and Red Star Belgrade player decided it was time for a fresh adventure.
"Nemanja is excited about the choice he's made," Vidic's agent Silvano Martina said. "He had already decided to leave Manchester United, and Inter was a really interesting option.
"On January 1st negotiations began. That's when all the parties started talking. Nemanja loved everything about this project and hopes to carry the club forward.
"Nemanja is a professional though, so right now he wants to do well for Manchester United, honouring the club and the fans."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]