PS4 News: GDC to be Exciting with Possible Unveils, 'Uncharted 4' Writer Leaves and More Details on 2 PS4 Horror Games
By Gel Galang | March 6, 2014 3:12 PM EST
GDC 2014 is going to be exciting, at least according to Sony and what it has in store for the PS4. A number of teasers have been spotted by DualShockers, most of which point to a lot of possible reveals of PS4 games.
According to the report, GDC 2014, which is going to be held from March 17 to 21 this year, will be an exciting one. SCE ISD producer Nick Accordino had been teasing quite a lot, with references to an upcoming line-up for the PS4 coming by the end of March.
It can hail back to the announcement of the release date of "DriveClub," teased in an earlier report by a tweet that had been retracted before people could react. Or it can also be an update to the progress of "Uncharted 4," now that a big development has occurred (more on that later).
But it can also be the possibility of the reveal of the virtual reality headset for Sony's gaming segment. Previous reports from Road to VR had suggested that GDC 2014 may be the venue for Sony to release its head-mounted display, which has been long-rumoured to add a new dimension to the PS4's capabilities.
Whatever the reveals may be, Sony does have a lot more still up its sleeve. It's just a matter of which one will be revealed for which event this year.
'Uncharted 4' to Get Different Writers?
"Uncharted 4" is one of the more awaited PS4 exclusives coming, but it seems that those who have known and grown up with the kind of writing style and themes may want to know that the original writer of "Uncharted" may not be there for the next installment.
Reports and representatives have confirmed that Amy Hennig is no longer with Naughty Dog.
"We can confirm that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. Amy has made significant contributions to the game industry and we appreciate all she has done for Naughty Dog. The development timeline of Uncharted will not be impacted," said a Sony representative to IGN.
Aside from the departure, IGN has also speculated based on anonymous sources that Ms Hennig was forced out by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, who may inherit the "Uncharted" title from Ms Hennig. In any case, Ms Hennig's last day at the studio was last March 3, though there have been no reports of what her next plans are.
2 PS4 Horror Games to Look Forward to
Beside "Basement Crawl," the exclusive PS4 game that somehow got one of the lowest scores in the PS4 line-up, Sony still has a number of games that it's looking to release on its next-gen console.
One of these is Zombie Studios' "Daylight," which has been confirmed for a 1,080p release on the PS4. According to Gamingbolt, it's the first game that will use the Unreal Engine 4 for scaring purposes, putting 1,080p as a priority for its next-gen release.
What can make this a PS4 exclusive, at least for the time being, is that when the studio was asked if "Daylight" will be released in other platforms, the response is, "Currently we have no plans to put Daylight onto platforms other than PlayStation 4 and the PC."
The release for "Daylight" will be on the same date for the two platforms, which is one April 8.
Frictional Games is also very active in updating the development of its horror game SOMA, which also has a touch of sci-fi to it.
"We are currently about a week away from the alpha of the game. This is a build in which a bit more than half of the full game is playable. It's currently clocking in at around five hours, meaning the final game will end up at eight hours or so," said Frictional Games' Thomas Grip over at the PlayStation Blog Europe.
According to Mr Grip, the main core of SOMA isn't just about one activity, like shooting at enemies but rather in a collective appeal and fun of the different activities in the game. There's hiding from the enemy, hiding in the environment and solving puzzles.
What also sets it apart is its rather disturbing theme—well, it wasn't called sci-fi horror for no reason. Both the theme and the fear of the environment have a hand in how the journey goes on, so it becomes worth the ride. Check out the latest trailer of the game below:
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- PS4 News: An Update On Project Morpheus And 2 More Games Coming To It
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- LG G Flex vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists