PS4 News: GDC to be Exciting with Possible Unveils, 'Uncharted 4' Writer Leaves and More Details on 2 PS4 Horror Games
By Gel Galang | March 6, 2014 3:12 PM EST
GDC 2014 is going to be exciting, at least according to Sony and what it has in store for the PS4. A number of teasers have been spotted by DualShockers, most of which point to a lot of possible reveals of PS4 games.
According to the report, GDC 2014, which is going to be held from March 17 to 21 this year, will be an exciting one. SCE ISD producer Nick Accordino had been teasing quite a lot, with references to an upcoming line-up for the PS4 coming by the end of March.
It can hail back to the announcement of the release date of "DriveClub," teased in an earlier report by a tweet that had been retracted before people could react. Or it can also be an update to the progress of "Uncharted 4," now that a big development has occurred (more on that later).
But it can also be the possibility of the reveal of the virtual reality headset for Sony's gaming segment. Previous reports from Road to VR had suggested that GDC 2014 may be the venue for Sony to release its head-mounted display, which has been long-rumoured to add a new dimension to the PS4's capabilities.
Whatever the reveals may be, Sony does have a lot more still up its sleeve. It's just a matter of which one will be revealed for which event this year.
'Uncharted 4' to Get Different Writers?
"Uncharted 4" is one of the more awaited PS4 exclusives coming, but it seems that those who have known and grown up with the kind of writing style and themes may want to know that the original writer of "Uncharted" may not be there for the next installment.
Reports and representatives have confirmed that Amy Hennig is no longer with Naughty Dog.
"We can confirm that Amy Hennig has left Naughty Dog. Amy has made significant contributions to the game industry and we appreciate all she has done for Naughty Dog. The development timeline of Uncharted will not be impacted," said a Sony representative to IGN.
Aside from the departure, IGN has also speculated based on anonymous sources that Ms Hennig was forced out by Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley, who may inherit the "Uncharted" title from Ms Hennig. In any case, Ms Hennig's last day at the studio was last March 3, though there have been no reports of what her next plans are.
2 PS4 Horror Games to Look Forward to
Beside "Basement Crawl," the exclusive PS4 game that somehow got one of the lowest scores in the PS4 line-up, Sony still has a number of games that it's looking to release on its next-gen console.
One of these is Zombie Studios' "Daylight," which has been confirmed for a 1,080p release on the PS4. According to Gamingbolt, it's the first game that will use the Unreal Engine 4 for scaring purposes, putting 1,080p as a priority for its next-gen release.
What can make this a PS4 exclusive, at least for the time being, is that when the studio was asked if "Daylight" will be released in other platforms, the response is, "Currently we have no plans to put Daylight onto platforms other than PlayStation 4 and the PC."
The release for "Daylight" will be on the same date for the two platforms, which is one April 8.
Frictional Games is also very active in updating the development of its horror game SOMA, which also has a touch of sci-fi to it.
"We are currently about a week away from the alpha of the game. This is a build in which a bit more than half of the full game is playable. It's currently clocking in at around five hours, meaning the final game will end up at eight hours or so," said Frictional Games' Thomas Grip over at the PlayStation Blog Europe.
According to Mr Grip, the main core of SOMA isn't just about one activity, like shooting at enemies but rather in a collective appeal and fun of the different activities in the game. There's hiding from the enemy, hiding in the environment and solving puzzles.
What also sets it apart is its rather disturbing theme—well, it wasn't called sci-fi horror for no reason. Both the theme and the fear of the environment have a hand in how the journey goes on, so it becomes worth the ride. Check out the latest trailer of the game below:
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown