Benedict XVI Will Come Out of Retirement and Rejoin Church Life – Pope Francis
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 6, 2014 2:17 PM EST
There will be no more surprises this time from Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI as he did during the recent installation of 19 new cardinals. Pope Francis has revealed his predecessor will now come out of retirement to rejoin the church life.
Pope Francis told Italian daily Corriere della Sera it was a decision they both agreed to.
"The emeritus pope isn't a statue in a museum. He's an institution," the reigning Pope said. "We talked about it and we decided together that it would be better if he sees people, gets out and participates in the life of the church."
Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, when he resigned from the post as supreme pontiff in February 2013, vowed to all believers and non-believers of the Roman Catholic faith that he would live a life hidden away so as not to interfere with the administration and decisions of his successor, who is Pope Francis.
But then he showed up at the February 2014 installation of 19 new cardinals under Pope Francis' reign. It was monumental in all fronts since it was the very first time that two popes were present in an event at St Peter's. Benedict XVI's attendance surprised everyone, except for Pope Francis it seemed.
Pope Francis much welcomed the presence of his predecessor. He believed the elder generations surely have a dearth of wisdom to offer younger generations.
"Some might have wanted him to retire away in a Benedictine abbey far from the Vatican," Pope Francis said. "I thought about grandparents who with their wisdom and advice give strength to their families and don't deserve to end up in an old folks' home."
Benedict XVI is expected to attend the April 27 canonisations of popes John Paul II and John XXIII.
In the same interview with Corriere della Sera, Pope Francis hinted he may go the way of his predecessor when it's his time step down from the post comes.
"It should be an institution," he said. "He [Benedict] is the first and perhaps there will be others," he said.
Pope Francis' statement somehow confirms the insinuations made by observers in 2013 that the resignation of Benedict XVI will become a precedent for successive popes to emulate.
Both are observing first year anniversaries in their respected church lives - Benedict his first year as resigned pope and Francis his first year as incumbent pope.
The Vatican, on the occasion of Pope Francis' election anniversary on March 13, has issued new coins and stamps.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales