Calgary Man Found Guilty of Animal Abuse, Ordered to Pay $5000 for Neglecting 34 Dogs
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | March 6, 2014 1:06 PM EST
A man from Calgary, Canada has been found guilty of animal abuse for failing to provide adequate care for 34 dogs. He has been ordered by the court to pay a $5000 fine and was likewise slapped with a lifetime three animal limit.
A Free Syrian Army fighter gives food to a dog in Aleppo's Sheikh Najjar Industrial City, March 5, 2014. REUTERS/Ammar Abdullah
In April 2011, the Calgary Humane Society seized the dogs, mostly pit bulls, from Joseph Michael Hogan's northeast residence. Acting on information, the group claimed the animals were in distress due to space, water and medical care. Mr Hogan was reportedly a dog breeder.
"He'd been distributing flyers indicating he had upwards of 50 dogs and was having troubles feeding them," Brad Nichols, manager of cruelty investigations with the Calgary Humane Society, said.
"Between that and an individual who'd gone to the house to view the animals, reporting back some were in poor conditions, we sought and executed a search warrant (in April 2011)."
Apart from being dehydrated, many of the dogs had puncture wounds. Facial abrasions were found on some dogs as they tried to see out of their pens.
"There was not water available to any of the dogs, there was a lack of space, as the majority of the dogs were housed in a garage, and you can imagine what 21 large breed dogs in a garage looks like. It's not appropriate," Mr Nichols said.
The sentence and fine slapped on 34-year old Mr Hogan was the highest imposed on anyone so far. The three-animal limit will keep him from breeding and ultimately making a profit off of these animals.
"The $5,000 is one of the higher penalties we've ever had. Mind you, it's for 34 dogs, but it's not the worst case we've seen," Mr Nichols added. "It sends a strong message. If you're thinking of getting into breeding, there is accountability and you can have your animals taken away."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Islamic State: ISIS Warns It May Blow Up Chicago or Washington DC
- Woman Accuses Labor Leader of 1986 Rape When She was 16; Shorten Admits Being Probed But Says He Was Cleared
- Islamic State: Foley Family Believes James Could Have Volunteered Beheading to Spare Lives of Fellow Hostages
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao KOs Philippine Taxman as Supreme Court Stops Agency from Requiring P4.2 Billion Surety Bond from Champ
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports