Graeme Smith’s Exit from World Cricket Became Even More Painful as South Africa Lost Last Test & Series to Australia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 6, 2014 12:03 PM EST
It was the last day of an illustrious career of Smith who has led his country with pride since 2003. He holds the world record for being the most successful test captain in the world. Under his captaincy, his country won 51 tests. His closest competition happened to be with Ricky Ponting who held the previous record with 48 test wins for Australia. His last test series did not represent his true potential as he made only 45 runs in the entire series with an average of 7.5.
Smith's exit from international cricket, however, did not turn out to be as glorious as his personal career. Australia defeated South Africa comprehensively by 245 runs in the final test of the series. With the win, Australia won the series as well. South Africa needed to survive only 4.3 more overs to save the test and gift a better farewell to their captain. Morne Morkel, nevertheless, got out to Ryan Harris as South Africa was bundled out for a slim score of 265.
The defeat, on the other hand, is not going to affect South Africa's test ranking. It will continue to top the list while Australia now moves up to the second spot pushing India down to the third position. Smith's declaration of retirement came only on March 3 during the on-going test. He said that he had been thinking of retirement since the test series started. A major reason behind his decision happens to be the health of his daughter. He called Cape Town the "perfect" venue to call it a day in his career.
Aussie captain Michael Clarke, who was earlier involved in an altercation with South African fast bowler Dale Styn, paid tribute to Smith. He said that South Africa was going to miss their captain. Clarke called Smith an "once-in-a-lifetime" cricketer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers