Graeme Smith’s Exit from World Cricket Became Even More Painful as South Africa Lost Last Test & Series to Australia
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | March 6, 2014 12:03 PM EST
It was the last day of an illustrious career of Smith who has led his country with pride since 2003. He holds the world record for being the most successful test captain in the world. Under his captaincy, his country won 51 tests. His closest competition happened to be with Ricky Ponting who held the previous record with 48 test wins for Australia. His last test series did not represent his true potential as he made only 45 runs in the entire series with an average of 7.5.
Smith's exit from international cricket, however, did not turn out to be as glorious as his personal career. Australia defeated South Africa comprehensively by 245 runs in the final test of the series. With the win, Australia won the series as well. South Africa needed to survive only 4.3 more overs to save the test and gift a better farewell to their captain. Morne Morkel, nevertheless, got out to Ryan Harris as South Africa was bundled out for a slim score of 265.
The defeat, on the other hand, is not going to affect South Africa's test ranking. It will continue to top the list while Australia now moves up to the second spot pushing India down to the third position. Smith's declaration of retirement came only on March 3 during the on-going test. He said that he had been thinking of retirement since the test series started. A major reason behind his decision happens to be the health of his daughter. He called Cape Town the "perfect" venue to call it a day in his career.
Aussie captain Michael Clarke, who was earlier involved in an altercation with South African fast bowler Dale Styn, paid tribute to Smith. He said that South Africa was going to miss their captain. Clarke called Smith an "once-in-a-lifetime" cricketer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report