Boxing News 2014: Analysts Agree With Mayweather’s Choice of Maidana Over Khan for May 3 Bout (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 6, 2014 9:59 AM EST
British boxer Amir Khan may still be ranting about his being glossed over by unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr for the May 3 bout, but the pound-for-pound king has analysts backing up his controversial decision to favour Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana instead.
Boxing News 2014: Will Argentinian Boxer Marcos Maidana Pull Off Biggest Upset in Boxing History by Beating Mayweather Despite Not Being in Same League as Money May? (VIDEOS)
Boxing News 2014: A Tale of 2 Boxers – Russian Wladimir Klitschko vs Australian Alex Leapai Vie for World Heavyweight Title on April 27 in Germany (VIDEOS)
Boxing analyst Larry Merchant pointed to Maidana's performance against Mayweather protégé Adrien Broner in 2013 as one of the reasons why the Argentinean pugilist is the better choice.
Merchant said, quoted by Boxing Scene, "I think it was the smart thing to do, and the right thing to do, in that Khan has been so idle and that there was a lot of cynicism about the fight."
He described the Maidana-Mayweather bout as a more buzz-worthy fight for the American audience especially since it would be preceded a few weeks by the highly anticipated rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley on April 12.
A similar view was given by former champion Oscar de la Hoya.
HBO ringside scorer Harold Lederman also agreed with Merchant's opinion. He told Boxing Scene, "Maidana's the tougher guy. You can't take it away from him. Sensational performance against Adrien Broner. He took it right to Broner, who you known we all considered one of the best up-and-coming fighters in the world."
Lederman added that on the other hand, "Khan's just been losing."
For his part, Mayweather said that while Khan won the online poll over Maidana, in the end, the final decision is his to make. He also belied Khan's claim that a contract for their bout has been made,
But while Money May is now 100 per cent sure who will he slug it out, the venue is still a question mark amid speculations it might be at the Barclays Center. New York Post said the highly anticipated match would likely be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Mayweather's favourite venue since 2007 when he fought and defeated de la Hoya.
BoxRec, which tracks boxers' fight record and future matches, already listed the MGM Grand as the venue for the Mayweather-Maidana match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015