Boxing News 2014: Analysts Agree With Mayweather’s Choice of Maidana Over Khan for May 3 Bout (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 6, 2014 9:59 AM EST
British boxer Amir Khan may still be ranting about his being glossed over by unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr for the May 3 bout, but the pound-for-pound king has analysts backing up his controversial decision to favour Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana instead.
Boxing News 2014: Will Argentinian Boxer Marcos Maidana Pull Off Biggest Upset in Boxing History by Beating Mayweather Despite Not Being in Same League as Money May? (VIDEOS)
Boxing News 2014: A Tale of 2 Boxers – Russian Wladimir Klitschko vs Australian Alex Leapai Vie for World Heavyweight Title on April 27 in Germany (VIDEOS)
Boxing analyst Larry Merchant pointed to Maidana's performance against Mayweather protégé Adrien Broner in 2013 as one of the reasons why the Argentinean pugilist is the better choice.
Merchant said, quoted by Boxing Scene, "I think it was the smart thing to do, and the right thing to do, in that Khan has been so idle and that there was a lot of cynicism about the fight."
He described the Maidana-Mayweather bout as a more buzz-worthy fight for the American audience especially since it would be preceded a few weeks by the highly anticipated rematch between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley on April 12.
A similar view was given by former champion Oscar de la Hoya.
HBO ringside scorer Harold Lederman also agreed with Merchant's opinion. He told Boxing Scene, "Maidana's the tougher guy. You can't take it away from him. Sensational performance against Adrien Broner. He took it right to Broner, who you known we all considered one of the best up-and-coming fighters in the world."
Lederman added that on the other hand, "Khan's just been losing."
For his part, Mayweather said that while Khan won the online poll over Maidana, in the end, the final decision is his to make. He also belied Khan's claim that a contract for their bout has been made,
But while Money May is now 100 per cent sure who will he slug it out, the venue is still a question mark amid speculations it might be at the Barclays Center. New York Post said the highly anticipated match would likely be at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Mayweather's favourite venue since 2007 when he fought and defeated de la Hoya.
BoxRec, which tracks boxers' fight record and future matches, already listed the MGM Grand as the venue for the Mayweather-Maidana match.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase