Aussie Startup Offers Rent-a-Friend Service Up to @ $60/Hour (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | March 6, 2014 9:55 AM EST
African penguins Pedro and Buddy in happier times at the Toronto Zoo.
Despite Sliding Down 10 Places in Forbes Magazine’s Rich List, Australia’s Wealthiest Person Gina Rinehart Grew Fortune by $700M in 2013 to $17.7B (VIDEOS)
We all have heard of China's boyfriend-for-hire business for women who need a man to introduce to their family so the clan would stop bugging her during holiday gatherings about getting married.
In Australia, a Friends for Hire enterprise will officially open on March 22. The Web site is the result of a three-month development effort by Wildside Group, a communications agency in Queensland.
The portal will offer Aussies platonic friends for hire who could charge a fee of up to $60 an hour. However, hires are not allowed to have any physical contact with their new friend.
The $60 is the fee for the friend-for-hire, while those seeking friends are charged a weekly membership fee of $5 which gives the member a choice from 1,500 pre-registered friends to choose from.
Josh Blundell, the co-founder of the site, said the service is not a matchmaking service to find a romantic partner or to solicit sexual services. He said the friend services could vary depending on the need such as companionship for a new migrant or visitor to the city, a workout buddy, a new language practice conversationalist or a phone confidant.
He said violators of the company policy on no romantic or sexual relationships would be fired.
"It's definitely not a dating website. It's for people who are lonely, without the expectation that things will move beyond a platonic friendship," Business Insider quoted Mr Blundell.
The founders believe the service would be appreciated in larger urban centres like Sydney and Melbourne where there are big numbers of transients and dense populations and it is quite difficult to join groups with friendships already formed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report