Flying Saucers Reports to be Exposed in Adelaide
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 11:00 PM EST
Classified reports of flying saucers and UFO's will be revealed at the National Archives in Adelaide on Wednesday, March 5, 12 noon to 1pm.
The very first assembly of people wanting to know the truth behind flying saucers and UFO sightings happened in Melbourne in March 1949. The meeting happened at the federal government's newly established Aeronautical Research Laboratory (ARL).
There 23 UFO enthusiasts from different countries and local groups who attended the congregation - the British Interplanetary Society, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS), Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and the Army Research Establishment. The congregation of UFO enthusiasts was then called Aeronautical & Meteorological Phenomena Research (AMPR), led by Brian Boyle and Jack Seers.
Ever since, Defence had been serious about its research efforts, delving into the mystery of flying saucers and UFOs, even with Minister for Air, William McMahon saying that "the problem is still one for psychologists than for defence authorities."
"But the Australian defence authorities obviously took sightings seriously. Naval intelligence shared their pilot's report with RAAF intelligence and it wasn't long before the RAAF had pro-forma documents where the intricate details of eye-witness accounts could be recorded," Mr Gleghorn said.
Mr Gleghorn has been investigating testimonies from eyewitness reports and letters and newspaper stories that document the Australian government's attitude to UFO sightings since the 1940s.
"Public interest in UFOs was especially high from the 1950s to the 1970s and many people reported sightings to government authorities,' said Nick. 'It's fascinating to read the reports but also interesting to see the official correspondence behind the scene. For example, who would have thought the future Governor-General Lord Casey would have had such an open mind on flying saucers?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family