Flying Saucers Reports to be Exposed in Adelaide
By Athena Yenko | March 5, 2014 11:00 PM EST
Classified reports of flying saucers and UFO's will be revealed at the National Archives in Adelaide on Wednesday, March 5, 12 noon to 1pm.
The very first assembly of people wanting to know the truth behind flying saucers and UFO sightings happened in Melbourne in March 1949. The meeting happened at the federal government's newly established Aeronautical Research Laboratory (ARL).
There 23 UFO enthusiasts from different countries and local groups who attended the congregation - the British Interplanetary Society, Royal Aeronautical Society (RAS), Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and the Army Research Establishment. The congregation of UFO enthusiasts was then called Aeronautical & Meteorological Phenomena Research (AMPR), led by Brian Boyle and Jack Seers.
Ever since, Defence had been serious about its research efforts, delving into the mystery of flying saucers and UFOs, even with Minister for Air, William McMahon saying that "the problem is still one for psychologists than for defence authorities."
"But the Australian defence authorities obviously took sightings seriously. Naval intelligence shared their pilot's report with RAAF intelligence and it wasn't long before the RAAF had pro-forma documents where the intricate details of eye-witness accounts could be recorded," Mr Gleghorn said.
Mr Gleghorn has been investigating testimonies from eyewitness reports and letters and newspaper stories that document the Australian government's attitude to UFO sightings since the 1940s.
"Public interest in UFOs was especially high from the 1950s to the 1970s and many people reported sightings to government authorities,' said Nick. 'It's fascinating to read the reports but also interesting to see the official correspondence behind the scene. For example, who would have thought the future Governor-General Lord Casey would have had such an open mind on flying saucers?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Luckiest Koala: Hit by a Car and Hung On To It From Maryborough to Gympie
- UK Converts Coal Plants Into Solar Cell Farms
- Health Experts Plead Action to Prevent Skin Cancer Epidemic in New Zealand
- A Wild Ride, Orbital Sex Mission: Satellite Carrying Russian Geckos Regains Control After Losing Contact
- Pheromone Parties are only for Hook Ups, Says Expert
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]