Rafter and Hewitt Confirms Joining Williams in the International Premier Tennis League
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | March 5, 2014 10:47 PM EST
In a feat to join the new challenge in the Tennis world, Patrick Rafter and LLeyton Hewitt confirm joining Serena Williams in Team Singapore for the first International Premier Tennis League to be held later this year.
World No.1 Rafael Nadal is all set to join International Premier Tennis League
No.1 seed Rafael Nadal is slated to represent Team Mumbai. Nadal will also be accompanied by 14-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras.
On the other end, No 1 Arab player Malek Jaziri, ex-topper Caroline Wozniacki and Janko Tipsarevic will join Team Dubai with Novak Djokovic.
Former No.1 Carlos Moya will play for Bangkok. In a recent interview he stated, "I'm very excited to be part of this competition, and look forward to playing for Bangkok. I have fond memories from the days I've played there". Along with Moya, the World No.2 Victoria Azarenka and Andy Murray will also play for Bangkok team.
Each team representative will have the option to add 10 players on their respective squad.
The Managing Director of the league, Mahesh Bhupathi, a celebrated doubles tennis champion mentions, a whopping $26.8 million has been invested to book 28 players for four teams representing the tournament.
The conceptual model of International Premier Tennis League came into being after seeing the success of Indian Premier League (IPL).
Of all the top players joining the bandwagon, Roger Federer will be missed as he seemed to be a bit hesitant joining the league right at the first time. In his recent visit to Dubai stated, "Firstly, I want to see whether it takes off. I know a lot of people have invested in it or are part of it".
The league is scheduled from November 27 to December 14 having 24 matches to be played across four major cities: Singapore, Mumbai, Bangkok and Dubai.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James