Chinese Jurassic Park Yields Feathered Dinosaur
By Parismita Goswami | March 5, 2014 10:18 PM EST
China's fossil bed contains some of the world's most wonderful fossils like the feathered dinosaurs, reptiles, early birds and various other mammals. This bed may be the home for the older fossils from the Middle Jurassic as well, according to a new study.
Feathered Dinosaurs (Representational Image)
These older fossils that date back to 160 million years, comprise of the ancient gliding mammals, swimming mammals, ancient feathered dinosaurs and a flying reptile. A recent study has classified these fossils into separate ecological group or biota.
The newly found biota was discovered in layers of rock just below the Jehol Biota, 130-million-year-old famous fossil collection from China's western Liaoning Province and its nearby areas.
The fossils from the Jehol Biota lay above the older specimen, according to David Hone, a dinosaur biologist at Queen Mary University of London.
"They seem to be from the same environments - lots of trees and probably a lot of water," Live Science quoted Hone.
The researchers classified and named the older known fossils as Daohugou Biota.
The Daohugou Biota, like that of the Jehol fossils has extraordinarily intact skeletons including soft tissues and features.
The researchers described that the fossil dates back from the middle-upper Jurassic, a period when birds were considered to have emerged from feathered dinosaurs. The team found feathered dinosaurs that resembled birdlike characteristics.
"When birds and dinosaurs divided from each other, you can barely tell them apart. They also found mammals that glided from trees (the Mesozoic equivalent of a flying squirrel), a classic transitional form of flying reptile called a pterosaur and even a weird little bucktoothed dinosaur," Hone said.
Hone expects that his colleagues will uncover a bird belonging to the Daohugou Biota within a decade. "It has only been in the last two to three years that we've recognized that this is a place we should really be looking," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown