Box Office (Overseas): 'Shaadi Ke Side Effects' Beats 'Bhaag Milkha Bhaag' Opening Weekend Collections
By sangeetha seshagiri | March 5, 2014 9:21 PM EST
Farhan Akhtar-Vidya Balan starrer "Shaadi Ke Side Effects" has performed well in the overseas markets. The film's opening weekend collections were better than Farhan's last release "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag".
Vidya and Farhan promote ‘Shaadi Ke Side Effects’ on an hot air balloon
"Shaadi Ke Side Effects" has minted approximately $1.8 million (₹11.18 crore) in its first weekend at the overseas box office, which is higher than "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag" collections that amounted to approximately $1.4 million, according to Bollywood Hungama.
The Farhan-Vidya starrer is much ahead of the sports biopic in key overseas markets, including the UK, the UAE-GCC and Australia.
The film has grossed ₹1.36 crore in its first weekend at the UK box office, whereas it earned ₹80.50 lakh in Australia. Its collections from the UAE and GCC stand at approximately ₹3.38 crore.
In USA-Canada, "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag" collections were higher than "Shaadi Ke Side Effects" as the film released in more number of screens. However, the romantic comedy entertainer has got much better screen average in both the States and Canada.
"#ShaadiKeSideEffects has grossed higher figures than #BhaagMilkhaBhaag in UK, UAE-GCC and Australia. Higher screen average in USA-Canada," film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted.
"#ShaadiKeSideEffects *opng wknd* USA $ 479,056 [Rs 2.97 cr], Canada $ 99,290 [Rs 61.57 lacs], Australia A$ 145,487 [Rs 80.50 lacs]," he said.
The Saket Chaudhary directorial was expected to take a fantastic opening on the first day of its release. Despite having star performers, the film failed to register a solid opening. It earned around only ₹5 crore on the first day but the business witnessed a huge jump on days 2 and 3, which helped the film post decent opening weekend collections.
The collections dropped on Monday (3 March) and is expected to decline further considering there are a few new films lined up for release this Friday (7 March).
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga