NBA Rumors: LeBron's Mask Sold on EBay For $50K – The Truth Behind the Story
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 5, 2014 8:36 PM EST
After breaking his nose in a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, LeBron James decided to wear a black mask for protection in Miami Heat's game against the New York Knicks last week.
NBA’s global jersey sales: LeBron James tops the list [Reuters]
However, the NBA apparently didn't like the idea of players wearing an 'R-Kelly' Mask and ordered the reigning MVP to change it with a transparent one. What happened to the Black Mask? Well, rumours circulated that it was stolen and already sold on Ebay for $50,000.
The mask, which is reportedly made of carbon-fiber, has reportedly been stolen by an unknown person, and it was the main reason for the "NBA cover-up" of banning the protective mask, according to a source close to LeBron. Few days later, the mask was reportedly posted on Ebay and was up for bidding for a whopping $50,000.
Is it legit?
While it's cool to have LBJ's Casanova mask, the news about the stolen protective gear and the bidding on Ebay is all made-up by satirical news site Empire Sports.
The site, which fabricated stories about Justin Beiber being mauled by Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin and the Tony Romo trade to the Houston Texans, struck again with another made-up story that certainly caught the attention of numerous internet users on various social media platforms.
Here's an excerpt of the story on Empire Sports
On Saturday, however, James appeared on court wearing a clear mask. An ESPN report stated a claim by someone in the Lebron camp that he didn't wear the black mask due to a request made by the league. But news reports today show that that claim may have been a cover-up.
An individual close to James was asked on Saturday about the mask and he stated that, "someone stole the mask out of Lebron's locker."
That claim was unverified and didn't seem to hold much validity until Sunday afternoon when the mask was discovered for sale on eBay for an amazing $50,000.
61 points mask - will it hit on EBay?
If James' black mask is valuable, what more would be the transparent mask he used when he dropped 61 points against the Charlotte Bobcats last Tuesday.
In fact, Marvel Comics even created a superhero version of the Miami Heat star wearing the mask as props to his impressive performance on the floor as of late. Without a doubt, when everything said and done, LBJ's transparent mask will be a very valuable collectible for some hardcore NBA fans. Will it hit Ebay, it remains unknown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Ronda Rousey Puts Up Her Belongings For Auction
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes