NBA Rumors: LeBron's Mask Sold on EBay For $50K – The Truth Behind the Story
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 5, 2014 8:36 PM EST
After breaking his nose in a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, LeBron James decided to wear a black mask for protection in Miami Heat's game against the New York Knicks last week.
NBA’s global jersey sales: LeBron James tops the list [Reuters]
However, the NBA apparently didn't like the idea of players wearing an 'R-Kelly' Mask and ordered the reigning MVP to change it with a transparent one. What happened to the Black Mask? Well, rumours circulated that it was stolen and already sold on Ebay for $50,000.
The mask, which is reportedly made of carbon-fiber, has reportedly been stolen by an unknown person, and it was the main reason for the "NBA cover-up" of banning the protective mask, according to a source close to LeBron. Few days later, the mask was reportedly posted on Ebay and was up for bidding for a whopping $50,000.
Is it legit?
While it's cool to have LBJ's Casanova mask, the news about the stolen protective gear and the bidding on Ebay is all made-up by satirical news site Empire Sports.
The site, which fabricated stories about Justin Beiber being mauled by Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin and the Tony Romo trade to the Houston Texans, struck again with another made-up story that certainly caught the attention of numerous internet users on various social media platforms.
Here's an excerpt of the story on Empire Sports
On Saturday, however, James appeared on court wearing a clear mask. An ESPN report stated a claim by someone in the Lebron camp that he didn't wear the black mask due to a request made by the league. But news reports today show that that claim may have been a cover-up.
An individual close to James was asked on Saturday about the mask and he stated that, "someone stole the mask out of Lebron's locker."
That claim was unverified and didn't seem to hold much validity until Sunday afternoon when the mask was discovered for sale on eBay for an amazing $50,000.
61 points mask - will it hit on EBay?
If James' black mask is valuable, what more would be the transparent mask he used when he dropped 61 points against the Charlotte Bobcats last Tuesday.
In fact, Marvel Comics even created a superhero version of the Miami Heat star wearing the mask as props to his impressive performance on the floor as of late. Without a doubt, when everything said and done, LBJ's transparent mask will be a very valuable collectible for some hardcore NBA fans. Will it hit Ebay, it remains unknown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions