NBA Rumors: LeBron's Mask Sold on EBay For $50K – The Truth Behind the Story
By Lou Ramon Aguila | March 5, 2014 8:36 PM EST
After breaking his nose in a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder, LeBron James decided to wear a black mask for protection in Miami Heat's game against the New York Knicks last week.
NBA’s global jersey sales: LeBron James tops the list [Reuters]
However, the NBA apparently didn't like the idea of players wearing an 'R-Kelly' Mask and ordered the reigning MVP to change it with a transparent one. What happened to the Black Mask? Well, rumours circulated that it was stolen and already sold on Ebay for $50,000.
The mask, which is reportedly made of carbon-fiber, has reportedly been stolen by an unknown person, and it was the main reason for the "NBA cover-up" of banning the protective mask, according to a source close to LeBron. Few days later, the mask was reportedly posted on Ebay and was up for bidding for a whopping $50,000.
Is it legit?
While it's cool to have LBJ's Casanova mask, the news about the stolen protective gear and the bidding on Ebay is all made-up by satirical news site Empire Sports.
The site, which fabricated stories about Justin Beiber being mauled by Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin and the Tony Romo trade to the Houston Texans, struck again with another made-up story that certainly caught the attention of numerous internet users on various social media platforms.
Here's an excerpt of the story on Empire Sports
On Saturday, however, James appeared on court wearing a clear mask. An ESPN report stated a claim by someone in the Lebron camp that he didn't wear the black mask due to a request made by the league. But news reports today show that that claim may have been a cover-up.
An individual close to James was asked on Saturday about the mask and he stated that, "someone stole the mask out of Lebron's locker."
That claim was unverified and didn't seem to hold much validity until Sunday afternoon when the mask was discovered for sale on eBay for an amazing $50,000.
61 points mask - will it hit on EBay?
If James' black mask is valuable, what more would be the transparent mask he used when he dropped 61 points against the Charlotte Bobcats last Tuesday.
In fact, Marvel Comics even created a superhero version of the Miami Heat star wearing the mask as props to his impressive performance on the floor as of late. Without a doubt, when everything said and done, LBJ's transparent mask will be a very valuable collectible for some hardcore NBA fans. Will it hit Ebay, it remains unknown.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid