Syria War: Despite ISIS and Al-Qaeda Fallout Affiliate Nusra Terrorists Fighting Together against Assad Forces
By Johnlee Varghese | March 5, 2014 8:14 PM EST
Despite the reported fallout between radical rebels, who belong to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) and Al-Qaeda affiliated forces, the groups may now be fighting together against the advancing Syrian government forces.
Syrian refugees, fleeing the violence in Syria, wait to enter Turkey on the Syrian-Turkish border in Shamm Alqrain village, northern countryside of Aleppo.
Besides, in the areas around the Yarmouk camp, the ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra may be coordinating together at the strategic region along the Lebanese border, known as the Qalamoun.
Al-Qaeda affiliated rebels in Syria have taken control of the Yarmouk camp, which has one of the largest number of Syrian refugees fleeing the war. Nusra, is reportedly in control of the area but there may be a handful of ISIS militants as well, helping the rebels to maintain control of the area.
A senior journalist specializing on the Middle East tweeted that ISIS and Nusra may be collaborating in Yarmouk. "In many parts of Syria, despite the talk of Nusra-ISIS fight, the intra-al-Qaeda battle, the two seem to be in collaboration. Contacts say that the rebel fighters in Yarmouk (Syria) are mainly Nusra, with only a handful of ISIS. Although this is impossible to verify," Vijay Prashad(@vijayprashad) stated.
Mark Seibel, another Middle East correspondent, in a report notes that ISIS and Nusra have been forced to coordinate together to resist the Syrian government, trying to retake Qalamoun, including the key rebel-held city of Yabroud.
The Syrian pro-Assad forces have been unable to make any real progress in the area till now. Seibel, speaking to a Syrian activist who uses the nom de guerre- Abu Omar al Homsi, notes that forces have been unable to take Yabroud mainly as there is no unrest between rebel groups. There is a command center operated by the Nusra Front, while others are equally represented, including ISIS.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence