Services Activity Slump Moderates in Feb; Orders Fall
March 5, 2014 6:59 PM EST
The contraction in India's services sector moderated last month but new business declined and input prices rose, a business survey showed on Wednesday.
Manufacturers Post Fastest Growth in a Year in Feb
The HSBC Services Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI), compiled by Markit, rose to 48.8 in February from 48.3, but remained stuck below the 50 mark that separates growth from contraction for the eighth month.
India's services sector accounts for about 60 percent of gross domestic product. The weak PMI follows lower-than-expected GDP growth of 4.7 percent at the end of 2013, suggesting there may be worse to come for the economy as India heads into an election due by May.
"The PMI reading remains below the water line and points to weak growth conditions," said Leif Eskesen, chief economist for India & ASEAN at survey sponsor HSBC.
Indeed, hiring remained muted and all 22 economists polled by Reuters last week said they don't expect any substantial improvement in investment before the general election.
As new business orders shrank for an eighth month firms focused on completing existing work and barely increased headcount - the employment sub-index slipped to 50.1 from 50.9.
But firms did pass on higher costs to clients, suggesting consumer price inflation, which was at 8.79 percent in January, could rise further.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has unofficially started targeting consumer prices to frame its policy and signs of faster rises will pressure the central bank to hike rates again.
However, at its January policy meeting, the RBI said if inflation eases as projected, it does not expect further tightening of policy in the near-term.
But HSBC's Eskesen said risks to inflation remain: "Despite the weak growth backdrop, the RBI will have to keep its inflation guards up to address lingering inflation pressures."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian International Condemnation Extends to 2018 World Cup
- Magaluf 2014 Update: Spanish Bar Where Teen Performed Sex Acts Closed, to Pay $78K Fine Along with Carnage Event Planner (VIDEOS)
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide