Services Activity Slump Moderates in Feb; Orders Fall
March 5, 2014 6:59 PM EST
The contraction in India's services sector moderated last month but new business declined and input prices rose, a business survey showed on Wednesday.
Manufacturers Post Fastest Growth in a Year in Feb
The HSBC Services Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI), compiled by Markit, rose to 48.8 in February from 48.3, but remained stuck below the 50 mark that separates growth from contraction for the eighth month.
India's services sector accounts for about 60 percent of gross domestic product. The weak PMI follows lower-than-expected GDP growth of 4.7 percent at the end of 2013, suggesting there may be worse to come for the economy as India heads into an election due by May.
"The PMI reading remains below the water line and points to weak growth conditions," said Leif Eskesen, chief economist for India & ASEAN at survey sponsor HSBC.
Indeed, hiring remained muted and all 22 economists polled by Reuters last week said they don't expect any substantial improvement in investment before the general election.
As new business orders shrank for an eighth month firms focused on completing existing work and barely increased headcount - the employment sub-index slipped to 50.1 from 50.9.
But firms did pass on higher costs to clients, suggesting consumer price inflation, which was at 8.79 percent in January, could rise further.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has unofficially started targeting consumer prices to frame its policy and signs of faster rises will pressure the central bank to hike rates again.
However, at its January policy meeting, the RBI said if inflation eases as projected, it does not expect further tightening of policy in the near-term.
But HSBC's Eskesen said risks to inflation remain: "Despite the weak growth backdrop, the RBI will have to keep its inflation guards up to address lingering inflation pressures."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Venezuelans Using Made-in-China Silicones Because Of Breast Implant Shortage
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect