Transgender Community Bashes Jared Leto Because of Oscar Win, Fans Fight Back Saying he Deserved It
By Maychelle Ornos | March 5, 2014 6:53 PM EST
Jared Leto winning the Oscars for Best Supporting Male Actor for portraying Rayon in the film the "Dallas Buyers Club" was celebrated by many as the race to the golden trophy was tight. However, several people from the transgender community were not in approval of the win or even Leto portraying the role because he was a cisgender.
The view of Fallon Fox in Time.com says it all on why she does not want Leto for the role and how winning the said award all the more makes it important for their community. Fox believes that many transgender individuals would have performed as well if not better than "Dallas Buyers Club" star in the said film and many other others have also sided with the author.
Although Fox was not targeting the actor, she was intent in getting the attention of the public on how transgender actors are not given enough breaks even with performing their very own struggles. She has also stated that while she listened to the interview of the director of the "Dallas Buyers Club," director Jean-Marc Vallee, she can't help but feel that Hollywood may still not open to the transgender community.
Several individuals in Twitter have also responded with the same feeling on how Leto was not deserving of his win since many transgender people are suffering.
One of the many people who have sided with the author stated: "There's a trans actress out there somewhere who could've brought the real dignity to Jared Leto's role and she is shaking her damn head right now," from @caulkthewagon.
Then again, those who believe that the Thirty Seconds to Mars frontman is deserving of his Oscars have also aired their own opinion on the matter.
In reply to the statement above from @caulkthewagon, @MadRaelin replied: "@caulkthewagon there may be a trans actor out there but JL brought real beauty to Rayon... embrace it!"
Many others have also applauded Leto's performance and his preparation for the role. However, critics will always have something to say.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 15, 2014: Liam Confronts Quinn About Her Secret Regarding Paris [WATCH VIDEO]
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect