Celestial Event 2014: Enormous Asteroid Comes Very Close to Earth on March 5; Where to Watch it Live Online
By jaskiran kaur | March 5, 2014 6:40 PM EST
An enormous asteroid will come very close to earth and move past the planet on Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 8 am (AEDT) and on Wednesday at 21:07 GMT (16:07 EST), according to reports. The asteroid will get close to the planet during its journey between the Earth and moon.
The enormous asteroid to come close to earth is dubbed 2014 DX110. The massive asteroid will come closest when it is within 350,000 km (217,000 mi or 0.9 lunar distances) from Earth.
According to a Daily Mail report, scientists and researchers claim that the asteroid, with the size of "three double decker buses" or 98ft, does not pose a threat of collision. The asteroid will travel at a speed of 33,000 mph or 14.85 km/s.
It is said that the asteroid can be viewed by anyone owning a "decent" telescope, as it provides a magnificent spectacle. The Daily Mail reports that the spectacular sight will be made live to those who want to watch it by the Virtual Telescope Project and Slooh via a "live, online event" which will share "real-time images" of the asteroid passing between the moon and Earth.
"Slooh's asteroid research campaign is gathering momentum with Slooh members using the Slooh robotic telescopes to monitor this huge population of potentially hazardous space rocks. We need to find them before they find us!" told Slooh's technical and research director Paul Cox, as quoted by Fox News.
It is reported that 2014 DX 110 asteroid will make an appearance just a year after "two major near-Earth object (NEO) events" that were noticed on Feb 15, 2013. During last year's asteroid event, an asteroid dubbed 2012 DA14 came close to Earth and was followed by an unexpected explosion of a space rock over a place called Chelyabinsk in Russia. The unanticipated explosion left more than 1,000 people injured due to massive damage caused to buildings and infrastructure in Russia.
"On a practical level, a previously-unknown, undiscovered asteroid seems to hit our planet and cause damage or injury once a century or so, as we witnessed on June 20, 1908 and February 15, 2013. Every few centuries, an even more massive asteroid strikes us—fortunately usually impacting in an ocean or wasteland such an Antarctica," said Bob Berman, a Slooh astronomer, as quoted by Fox News.
Livestream of DX110 event will commence at 20:30 GMT on March 5, 2014 and at 7:30 AEDT on March 6, 2014. Click HERE to view the asteroid passing between the moon and Earth on a Virtual Telescope Web site and click HERE to view the celestial event on the Slooh Web site.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Human Faces are so Variable Because we Evolved to Look Unique, Finds Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone