Punished for being ‘Anti-National’: 67 Kashmiri Students in Meerut Suspended for ‘Cheering’ Pakistan in India-Pak Match
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 5, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Pakistan players: 67 students in a university in Meerut were suspended for cheering Pakistan during the match
The students were told to vacate their hostel rooms, and were escorted by university officials and police to nearby Ghaziabad, Indian Express reported.
The group of students was reportedly watching the match on TV in the community hall of the hostel of the Swami Vivekananda Subharti University (SVSU). After India lost the match, a clash broke out between the Kashmiri students and those supporting India in the match. The boys in questions allegedly celebrated the victory of Pakistan.
Despite the clash between what appeared to be two rival groups, actions were reportedly taken only against the group, which supported Pakistan.
"By raising pro-Pakistan slogans, the Kashmiri boys did an anti-national act, and that was why we suspended them and did not take any action against the others," Warden of the hostel, G S Bansal told the newspaper.
According to eyewitnesses, there were heated exchanges between the two groups, which quickly escalated into brawls. Students reportedly started hurling stones at one another after the fall out.
The University's vice-chancellor Manzoor Ahmed has said that the suspension was a "precautionary measure".
"There was strong resentment against the students who had shouted anti-national and pro-Pakistan slogans after Pakistan won the match. So as a precautionary measure, we temporarily suspended students of J&K for three days," he was quoted as saying.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]