Punished for being ‘Anti-National’: 67 Kashmiri Students in Meerut Suspended for ‘Cheering’ Pakistan in India-Pak Match
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 5, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Pakistan players: 67 students in a university in Meerut were suspended for cheering Pakistan during the match
The students were told to vacate their hostel rooms, and were escorted by university officials and police to nearby Ghaziabad, Indian Express reported.
The group of students was reportedly watching the match on TV in the community hall of the hostel of the Swami Vivekananda Subharti University (SVSU). After India lost the match, a clash broke out between the Kashmiri students and those supporting India in the match. The boys in questions allegedly celebrated the victory of Pakistan.
Despite the clash between what appeared to be two rival groups, actions were reportedly taken only against the group, which supported Pakistan.
"By raising pro-Pakistan slogans, the Kashmiri boys did an anti-national act, and that was why we suspended them and did not take any action against the others," Warden of the hostel, G S Bansal told the newspaper.
According to eyewitnesses, there were heated exchanges between the two groups, which quickly escalated into brawls. Students reportedly started hurling stones at one another after the fall out.
The University's vice-chancellor Manzoor Ahmed has said that the suspension was a "precautionary measure".
"There was strong resentment against the students who had shouted anti-national and pro-Pakistan slogans after Pakistan won the match. So as a precautionary measure, we temporarily suspended students of J&K for three days," he was quoted as saying.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools