Punished for being ‘Anti-National’: 67 Kashmiri Students in Meerut Suspended for ‘Cheering’ Pakistan in India-Pak Match
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 5, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Pakistan players: 67 students in a university in Meerut were suspended for cheering Pakistan during the match
The students were told to vacate their hostel rooms, and were escorted by university officials and police to nearby Ghaziabad, Indian Express reported.
The group of students was reportedly watching the match on TV in the community hall of the hostel of the Swami Vivekananda Subharti University (SVSU). After India lost the match, a clash broke out between the Kashmiri students and those supporting India in the match. The boys in questions allegedly celebrated the victory of Pakistan.
Despite the clash between what appeared to be two rival groups, actions were reportedly taken only against the group, which supported Pakistan.
"By raising pro-Pakistan slogans, the Kashmiri boys did an anti-national act, and that was why we suspended them and did not take any action against the others," Warden of the hostel, G S Bansal told the newspaper.
According to eyewitnesses, there were heated exchanges between the two groups, which quickly escalated into brawls. Students reportedly started hurling stones at one another after the fall out.
The University's vice-chancellor Manzoor Ahmed has said that the suspension was a "precautionary measure".
"There was strong resentment against the students who had shouted anti-national and pro-Pakistan slogans after Pakistan won the match. So as a precautionary measure, we temporarily suspended students of J&K for three days," he was quoted as saying.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Top Fake News Websites - Be Aware Or Beware
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar