Punished for being ‘Anti-National’: 67 Kashmiri Students in Meerut Suspended for ‘Cheering’ Pakistan in India-Pak Match
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | March 5, 2014 6:10 PM EST
Pakistan players: 67 students in a university in Meerut were suspended for cheering Pakistan during the match
The students were told to vacate their hostel rooms, and were escorted by university officials and police to nearby Ghaziabad, Indian Express reported.
The group of students was reportedly watching the match on TV in the community hall of the hostel of the Swami Vivekananda Subharti University (SVSU). After India lost the match, a clash broke out between the Kashmiri students and those supporting India in the match. The boys in questions allegedly celebrated the victory of Pakistan.
Despite the clash between what appeared to be two rival groups, actions were reportedly taken only against the group, which supported Pakistan.
"By raising pro-Pakistan slogans, the Kashmiri boys did an anti-national act, and that was why we suspended them and did not take any action against the others," Warden of the hostel, G S Bansal told the newspaper.
According to eyewitnesses, there were heated exchanges between the two groups, which quickly escalated into brawls. Students reportedly started hurling stones at one another after the fall out.
The University's vice-chancellor Manzoor Ahmed has said that the suspension was a "precautionary measure".
"There was strong resentment against the students who had shouted anti-national and pro-Pakistan slogans after Pakistan won the match. So as a precautionary measure, we temporarily suspended students of J&K for three days," he was quoted as saying.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown